question for the coo-oh..

unclehobart

I was wondering how the traditional Hawaiian marriage ceremony differs from the western approach. Does daddy still give away the bride? :D Do women take their husbands surname? Whats optional.. whats required ... whats traditional ... what has been ingrained after a few centuries of judeo-chrsitian, shinto, buddhist overlap?

since the question was directed toward ku'u, I have told her that she has a thread awaiting her reply.

how traditional do you want it? :D

a traditional traditional Hawaiian "marriage" can be as simple as two people wrapped in a tapa and sleeping together. hawaiians didn't really have "marriages", in the western sense of the word. a woman could have 2+ husbands, and same with men, they could have 2+ wives. and in the case of royalty, many married their siblings to ensure high rank ... that is, until the westerners came and told us that the practice was "wrong."

nowadays, it's probably the same as anywhere else in America. :shrug:

the trend here in Hawai'i, for some anyway, is to hyphenate their last names. I didn't do that. I opted to change my surname into a middle name and take the hubby's name. That's what all my friend's did too.

i'm also seeing that because everyone is now proud to be Hawaiian, most women are choosing to keep their own last name if that name is Hawaiian and their hubby's name isn't.

nalani said:
since the question was directed toward ku'u, I have told her that she has a thread awaiting her reply.
Na.. your input is welcome as well. I just directed it towards Kuu because she was browsing the boards at that moment as well as just having gone through the whole proccess in recent weeks.

Pay no attention to the sphincter squeezing whiteman, ku'u....We take the fun out of EVERYTHING.

Is it traditional for the baby to carry the mother or fathers last name ... or is that something to be hammered out on the fly as well? Is the very concept of a surname something that existed within pre colonial culture?

surnames came with the westerners ... much like diseases :D (that's a joke people) :D

anywho, let's see *looking at family tree*, the first time an ancestor had a surname would be with my grandma's grandmother.

babies surname depends ... unmarried women might give the baby their name or the father's name ... married women generally give their kids their daddy's name ... or they might do the hyphenated thing :D

a hyphenated baby name? gag. Can you just imagine 4 generations of hyphenated names marrying into more hyphens? You could end up with a twisted kid at the end with 32 names separated with 31 hyphens. Just filling out the name section of a passport application would take the better part of an hour.

Ok, you have a kid named after a pair of jeans?

Seriously though, where did Annalyssa come from?

I was thinking about using my maiden name as a middle name for a son ... Japanese have a thing about their sons ... :D

in keeping with the cowboy tradition of my whitey family, my children have two English names and they are hyphenated. However, their Hawaiian names are more like "stories", with the shortest name being 21 characters long :D

Unc said:
Ok, you have a kid named after a pair of jeans?

Actually, he's named after my great-grandfather. I picked the name when I was still a teenager. Originally, I had intended to name my son Levi Wallace, after my grandfather and great-grandfather. Later, I dropped the Wallace and was going to name him Austen Levi. (The Austen came from Austen Heller of The Fountainhead, not Jane.)

When the event actually arrived and Jan was pregnant the first time, she didn't want me to have all the fun of naming the baby if it was a boy. She wanted a name from her family. Unfortunately, her ancestors had names like Alton and Doy. We tossed a lot of names around, and decided that if it was boy, we'd name it Levi Brannon.

Annalyssa's name was also a compromise. Jan came up with Anna, and I came up with Alyssa. We just smooshed them together, and decided that if it was a girl, she could have the middle name Brannon, too.

When Jan became pregnant the second time, I was in favor of going back to Austen Levi since we had already used Brannon in Anna's name, but Jan wanted to stay with the original plan. We never got around to picking out another girl's name, because we planned on having a boy.

kuulani said:
I was thinking about using my maiden name as a middle name for a son ... Japanese have a thing about their sons ... :D
Does this mean that round 2 is on the launching pad ... or a work in progress ... or script for future development?

Back