Question.

chcr

Too cute for words
For dinner tonite I just finisehd making meat and bean burritos (my own recipe, pork and ground chuck with lots of green chiles and stuff) and chips with cop-out queso (veveeta and salsa). The question is: Does anyone taste any difference between white, blue or yellow corn tortilla chips? I think it's a rip-off myself.

the blue chips are a little thicker and denser.....i dunno...it's a texture thing...the red i like...but plain jane white are the best imo.

Ooo! I saw a taste-test thingie on just this topic on PBS the other day. The white tortilla chips win hands down. It’s a matter of texture more than taste, like tonks said. The yellow "stone-round" or "home style” varieties tend to be grittier, which most people don’t find all that appealing. As for the blue ones (I think there are red ones too) the taste isn't all that different IMO, but if you buy the stone-ground health food variety, you get the grittier texture.

I know, I know. I should stop it with these deep, philosophical posts :D

tonks said:
oh yeah? us? and would you like to explain spotted dick?

I got some cream from the doctor..........:blush:

So wots in a chip that makes it blue? (or is it just unhappy?) :confused:

Oz said:
I got some cream from the doctor..........:blush:

So wots in a chip that makes it blue? (or is it just unhappy?) :confused:
it's made from blue corn.....like the kind that they dry for decoration?

tonks said:
it's made from blue corn.....like the kind that they dry for decoration?

*none the wiser*

I'll take yer word for it........

Blue corn? Wot next? turquise Lemons? :nuts:

Oz said:
*none the wiser*

I'll take yer word for it........

Blue corn? Wot next? turquise Lemons? :nuts:
hun? they have those.....just leave your lemons in the fridge for about 6 months...that'll turn 'em turqouise. ;)

chcr said:
For dinner tonite I just finisehd making meat and bean burritos (my own recipe, pork and ground chuck with lots of green chiles and stuff) and chips with cop-out queso (veveeta and salsa). The question is: Does anyone taste any difference between white, blue or yellow corn tortilla chips? I think it's a rip-off myself.

It depends. If you're comparing them to Tostito's, hell yea. If you have a good source of chips, nah. I do like them though. I found a great maker of authentic chips & they're sold right here.

PS-why wasn't I invited?

No place to park your truck where you might find it again (It's been wet, and I live in a little valley).

Okay, I agree that the texture is different, but they taste the same. I like the grittier ones, but the blue corn are ridiculously expensive.

Note: got two to take for lunch tomorrow too.

I like the red and black ones personally...with lots of melted cheese and meat and some peppers, ohh man , now im hungry...

Mare said:
I like the red and black ones personally...with lots of melted cheese and meat and some peppers, ohh man , now im hungry...

I'm telling you, cop-out queso. Absolutely the only thing I will use velveeta for. Two minutes in the microwave and you're good to go.

Purple tortillas do taste better IMO.

(probably they are blue up there)

Back