Racism

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Owens defends Lamm's ethnic views
By Chris Frates
Denver Post Staff Writer

Republican Gov. Bill Owens today defended former Democratic Gov. Dick Lamm's remarks that Asians and Jews have more ambition than Hispanics and blacks, saying that the outcry over Lamm's remarks has been "knee jerk."

"I've known Dick Lamm for 25 or 30 years and there isn't a racist bone in his body," Owens said on 850 KOA-AM's "The Mike Rosen Show."

Owens went on to say that he wishes his three children had more of a Jewish and Asian work ethic.

"There are many days ... when I wish they'd have more aspects of Jewish and Asian culture. I wish they'd get up earlier in the morning, I wish they would work harder and in many respects that's what we do see out of many of the Asian and the Jewish culture. My kids are all Anglo, they're Irish, English and they're wonderful kids and I wish they'd

work a little harder sometimes. Sometimes, I wish that I had some more of those traits.
"So I don't think Dick Lamm was being in any way racist and I think some of the response to him has been knee jerk. I think that we need to have a debate on what it is about certain backgrounds that leads to more success," the governor said.

The subject came up as Owens and Rosen were discussing the recently released CSAP scores, which Rosen said show that minority children don't perform as well in basic subject areas as Asian and white children.

tough one, it is a compliment, with some factual basis from the CSAP (though I think it has to do with school districts)

but it's a us and them situation.

what truly shocked me was a republican was defending a democrat ;)

(I would have also been shocked by the reverse)

link

Jews ain't a race but...

world history bears out his comment

it ain't a stereotype if it is true!

huh is this like crimes vs acts of war?

Hell all the Asians and Jews I've know in my life
had it all over all the beaner er um Latino um hispanic ah Hell beaners

I've ever known.

Yep ethinc

is white an 'ethnicity?'

Hmm I thought not...

Jew (jū)
n.
An adherent of Judaism as a religion or culture.
A member of the widely dispersed people originally descended from the ancient Hebrews and sharing an ethnic heritage based on Judaism.
A native or inhabitant of the ancient kingdom of Judah.

Winky said:
Jews ain't a race but...

world history bears out his comment

it ain't a stereotype if it is true!

I know some lazy-assed Jews and Asians so does that make it a stereotype then?

spike said:
I know some lazy-assed Jews and Asians so does that make it a stereotype then?

yeppers, lol

starts with how hard working and smart, ends with secretly controlling the gov't.

paul_valaru said:
yeppers, lol

starts with how hard working and smart, ends with secretly controlling the gov't.

Aren't they both supposed to be cheapskates too?

spike said:
Aren't they both supposed to be cheapskates too?

oh yeah, can't forget that, when I went to look up the defention of Jew I didn't capitalize and got....

jew (jū)
tr.v. Offensive., jewed, jew·ing, jews.
To bargain shrewdly or unfairly with. Often used with down.
To haggle so as to reduce (a price). Often used with down.

Yep, carazy how common it was when I was in high school for people to say something like "Dude, I can't believe that guy jewed you down to $400 for your car".

People using the term didn't even realize they had insulted jewish people or knew anything about the Jewish religion.

Now that I think of it a bunch of kids jumping on top of one guy was called a nigger-pile with no thought about it being offensive.

The PC Police thing isn't all bad.

I remember someone used "he jewed me" right in front of me, then turned beet red realizing after what he had said.

I laughed.

paul_valaru said:
but it's a us and them situation.

Until there are no more Italain-Americans or African-Americans or Mexican-Americans, etc, it'll always be us & them.

Stereotypes are full of truths. Thery just asren't all encompassing. Neither is anything else.

paul_valaru said:
I remember someone used "he jewed me" right in front of me, then turned beet red realizing after what he had said.

I laughed.
I know a guy (jewish, I think, although it occurs to me that I've never actually asked) who always says "I christianed him down" and the like. :lol: I find it amusing how many christians are offended by it.

Over my head by 100 yards....christianed him down? WHat's he mean?

Back