Raid 5 scsi......

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
I am so hating it right now. I had the most nonprobable crash happen. i have 6 hdd's in it and had 2 fail on the same channel at the same time.
So....... I am now redoing the whole server. I added 2 new drives in and it tells me it cant find the OS.
I so am hating raid right now.
I could have ran 2 drives on seperate controllers and mirrored them. i would have been done in 20 minutes.
But oh no, its not the corporate way...:mad: :grumpy:

That's horrifying dude. Two drives on separate channels with mirroring is exactly what we do. When I first started working there they were both on the same channel, but I patiently (no, really) explained why that was a bad idea. They actually used to listen to me back then. Of course, our server is pretty basic. What kind of controller are you running?

right now im waiting for the controller to scrub the drives. hopefully this will go quick. but its only 35% done so far. :(

looks like another late nite at work and a sunday. oh what fun.

what really sux is i just got the enter the matrix game to play.....

thanks, but i think id prefer you fly over and fix this.:)

so i can play my game

Jeez. What the hell do you do to these poor hard drives that makes them fail so quickly? :tardbang:

*stays away from scsi raid*

well they are in use 24/7 but normally you wouldnt lose 2 at a time. it is a rare beast that it should happen.
they were quantum drives, never really had any issues with them before.

yea same here. I just have never really had any problem with their scsi drives. seagate on the otherhand...:grumpy: = junk

Didn't have any online spares running?

Whenever I build a raid5, I always put at least one online spare in the array.

Prolly gonna order this so i dont have to spend my weekends here at work. I may change the drive confoguration though and add a tape backup system.

IBM x345 rack-mount server $2,343.00

IBM ServeRAID-4Lx Ultra160 SCSI Controller $420.00

IBM 36.4GB 10000 rpm Ultra160 SCSI Hot-Swap x6 $1,536.00

IBM X345 350 Hot Swappable Power Supply $210.00

SIMPLE 1GB PC2100 DDR IBM X235 $300.00

IBM ServicePac 3 Year On Site 24x7 4 Hour $520.00

Sub-Total $5,329.00
Shipping: $45.05
Tax: $0.00
Grand Total $5,374.05

Back