Re-partitioning

Aunty Em

I had hoped when I installed Linux on the second partition of my TBird that I would still be able to keep an image of ME on there, but I had to change the file system so I can no longer see that partition from windows.

What I wanted to know was can I repartition the windows partition to make a small area big enough to store a backup image and how best to go about it.

I originally partitioned the drive using Maxtors own software. Will the windows partition still be my primary?

You could use partiton magic resize your windows partion and to create another partition for your image. I don't know if ghost or that powerquest image program (the name escapes me right now, drive image maybe ?) can read linux partions or not. Maybe one of them does, but probably not. I seems like I tried ghost 2003 with a linux partition and it couldn't recognize it, but I don't know about Drive Image. There is another program too, I can't think of it right thats free. Personally, I prefer partition magic though. You could start over with your Maxtor utility or with Fdisk but that would mean loosing all the data on your HDD. If you want to keep it I'd use partition magic or something similar.

RD_151 said:
You could start over with your Maxtor utility or with Fdisk but that would mean loosing all the data on your HDD. If you want to keep it I'd use partition magic or something similar.

Yes I thought that would happen. I have partition magic but I have never used it, so it looks like I now have the opportunity to learn how.

Drive Image 5.0 is the backup software I use. I haven't looked to see if the other partitian is visible from it but I will when I get home.

Ok, they aren't the same, but Drive Image 5 allegedly supports linux partions. Sorry, I have no experience with Drive Image though. I always use ghost. In theory it should work though.

Supported:
FAT, FAT32, NTFS, HPPS and Linux ext2/Swap file systems

Partition Magis is easy to use, Aunty. I'm sure you won't have any problems with it. Just keep in mind repartitioning without losing data, especially if theres alot of data on the drive, can take hours.

Really? Its always been pretty quick for me. I don't think its ever taken more than about 10min. Of course, I have never tried it with a drive with more than a couple GB on it, and I always have tons and tons of free space too. The worst part for me is defraging the hdd first. I guess I'll have to keep that in mind before I try to make any partions on a large drive with a lot of data on it.

Partition Magic is as easy as can be though if you do need to use it. With any luck though, you won't have to bother with creating another partition.

I've got a 30 gig, about 10 free, two partitions. At first I had it at 20 and 10. Then, I decided I only needed about 5 on the second partition. Had about 16 on the first, 3 or 4 on the second at the time. I went to bed after an hour, and it only said 43 % done then.

That sucks. I have an 80 right now with 20 on it. I was thinking of repartitioning to have a 30 and a 50. I guess I'll be in for a long day when I do. Thanks for the warning. I was gonna do it this weekend, maybe I'll start in tomorrow moring instead, just before I go to work. I already did the degrag (I have no idea how long that took, I started it and didn't look back for a day or so), now I just have to make the partitions.

Yep, I'd definitely do it when you aren't going to be around. I scheduled my defrags to start at 1:00am Wednesday mornings. So I just have to remember to keep myself logged in Tuesday night and it will be done by morning.

Its all Kazaa.dat files too. You can imagine how fragmented it was! I never defraged that drive, it was my kazaa drive :D

RD_151 said:
Ok, they aren't the same, but Drive Image 5 allegedly supports linux partions. Sorry, I have no experience with Drive Image though. I always use ghost. In theory it should work though.

Supported:
FAT, FAT32, NTFS, HPPS and Linux ext2/Swap file systems

After having read some of the information on JustLinux I went back and reinstalled Mandrake dropping a lot of stuff I won't use yet (if ever) after formatting the partition as native Linux and creating a small swap partition. I've configured the firewall I hope! and am now surfing with Mozilla.

I also found I can now see my windows partition and use files from it in Linux. My desktop now sports a favourite piccy of mine. :)

I shall fire up windows later and see if I can see the partition and if DI5.0 will work with it.

Working with the consoles is going to take a bit of studying though.

Well I'm back in Windows and just checked the program. I can see all the partitians no problem but can't make a backup image from fat32 to ext2, as I thought, so I'll have to repartitian this part of the drive. But I can't be buggered to do it tonight so it'll just have to wait till tomorrow. :)

Back