Remember the civil rights movement?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Toronto doesn't.
link

link

Watching the news, can't find the article that explains the whole thing, but the gist is that they may open a black only (or Afrocentric) high school, and have black only programs at a number of others at the request of the black community of Toronto.

say goodbye to multiculturalism, and everything that makes Canada great.

discuss.

No, see, it's like this... if the blacks have their own school that the whites can't get into, but the blacks can still get into the white school as well, that's perfectly OK. If the blacks have their own school that the whites can't get into, but they can't get into the white school, that's racist.

at the request of the black community of Toronto.

And there we have it. Is it the community, or is it three shit-stirrers?

WARNING: A PERSONAL EXPERIENCE TO BE SUBMITTED BELOW. DON'T READ IT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED; THERE WILL BE NO WEB LINK AS NONE EXISTS. WIKIPEDIA WAS NOT CONSULTED, NOR WAS SNOPES. IT IS PURELY FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE. THANK YOU AND HAVE A PLEASANT OTC EXPERIENCE.

We have a new employee in our office. Let's call her Rita. Rita is a 40ish black lady who completed numerous tours with the US Army, then decided to go back to college and be with her children and husband instead of fighting the bad guys in other locales. Rita is a very pleasant lady with a quick wit, a delightful sense of humor, and abundant professionalism and ethics. An asset to any work place.

We had a court day the first Friday of January. This being her first experience in our court, I kind of showed her the ropes, introduced her around to the judge and other key figures she would need to work with, and walked her through the process of what we do on these days. During the morning recess, I went outside to smoke and she followed me as she is also an evil smoker.

During the break, the conversation turned to public schools and the curriculum therein. She proceeded to comment on how agenda driven it is, and made particular note of the American History classes. She stated that what was being taught was so incorrect as to be a joke. I nodded my agreement, sparing her my lincoln diatribe, but she went on to engage in her own lincoln tirade. Preachin' to the choir, I told her. She concluded that the campaign to rob American citizens of their true heritage and culture was the most shameful thing she had noticed since returning from her last deployment overseas.

I like this lady a lot...

Time passes, and we conclude the day's docket shortly after noon. We carpool to court, and she needed a ride to the office. Since most everyone else was going to lunch and I needed to swing by the office before eating, I offered her a ride.

In my truck. With the Confederate battle flag tag on the front, the Sons of Confederate Veterans tag on the back, and a mini Confederate battle flag suspended from the passenger side visor. As I wore my Sons of Confederate Veterans tie tack.

Not one word about it did she utter. Nor did her mannerisms change in the slightest. I also refrained from comment, instead talking about work matters. When we arrived at the office, she thanked me for the ride and said (paraphrased) that I had no reason to worry whether she felt uncomfortable, if in fact I did. She said that she had already formed a favorable opinion of me, so why would that be changed by the fact that I chose to celebrate my own heritage. She further stated that she had absolutely no opposition to the Confederate battle flag, as she was well aware that it had not one thing to do with slavery or any other racist connotation.

No change in our good relationship since then either.

See folks, it IS possible, but only through education.

END OF PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. YOU MAY NOW RESUME YOUR PREVIOUSLY HELD EXPECTATIONS OF INDEPENDENT VALIDATION FOR EVERY TYPED WORD ON OTC. THANK YOU. SHALOM.

i've always been amazed at canadians' ideas about minorities. i'll just leave it at that.

nice story, SnP.

Question is, can the problems presented by the opening paragraph, though not limited to Toronto (nor Canada) be discussed in an open forum without charges of racism?

It's not how they're taught. It's not what they're taught. It's what isn't taught at home.

It's now how they're taught. It's not what they're taught. It's what isn't taught at home.

Good point as well. I've always tried to set my goal with the WTD to not teach her what to think but how to think. When she comes to me with an opinion on something, I first ask her why she thinks that way. If she can provide acceptable reasoning, then it's a valid opinion whether I share it or not.

And there we have it. Is it the community, or is it three shit-stirrers?

We have a new employee in our office. Let's call her Rita. Rita is a 40ish black lady who completed numerous tours with the US Army, then decided to go back to college and be with her children and husband instead of fighting the bad guys in other locales. Rita is a very pleasant lady with a quick wit, a delightful sense of humor, and abundant professionalism and ethics. An asset to any work place.

*snip*

I wonder how much her Army experiences had to do with the whole matter...

Anyway...this is one of the reasons such things exist...Note the date.

PHILADELPHIA - As a child growing up in the 1940s, Charles Blockson was once told by a white teacher that black people had made no contributions to history.

Even as a fourth-grader, Blockson, who is black, knew better. So he began collecting proof.

Today, the Charles L. Blockson Afro-American Collection at Temple University contains more than 30,000 historical items, some dating to the 16th century. It includes Paul Robeson's sheet music, African Bibles, rare letters and manuscripts, slave narratives, correspondence of Haitian revolutionaries and a first-edition book by W.E.B DuBois.

Now, I don't know about you folks, but that, in bold, is a slap in the face to every living being on the planet. Not just black, but all races. It is through racism that reverse racism exists. One cannot exist without the other, nor can one be removed without the removal of the other.

There is a movement in Halifax, there are nine generations of black people who have lived there, making huge contributions to the city, province and country, and the history is not taught now they are trying to fix that. I still don't see segregated schools as the solution, revamping the history lessons and books would be a solution.

Back