Reserves...

Jeslek

Banned
Hey MitchShaft, or Gato, can you please give me a summary of what exactly the Reserves are, and what is involved being in the Reserves? What is the minimum training, and do you have to periodical "check-ins"? It may be an option for me instead of going full time military. (I'm just exploring options...) Any advice would be appreciated.

i thought it was obligatory to be in a reserve after you reach the legal age.

Luis G said:
i thought it was obligatory to be in a reserve after you reach the legal age.
Not that I know off. I know you must register with the Selective Services System, which is the drafting authority.

US Army reserves are wanna be regular army. They go throught he same basic training as RA, initially. If I understand correctly, they serve 2 consecutve weeks a year & 1 or 2 weekends a month at their local post, full time. Same rules on warfare or your state's Governor, if they/he call you up, you WILL go. It's a mimimum 6 year deal. Go RA & serve 3-6 years, balance paid on inactive reserves & you're done. You can transfer from reserves to RA but not vice versa.

Close, Gonz, but you CAN transfer both ways. Also, if you are in the US Air Force Reserves, you get an extra $140.00 per month for education (Full time). Besides the one-week-end per month and two weeks per year, you can also go for the IMA route (39 straight days per year). One thing, though...the chances of you getting deployed in the reserves is extremely high right now. You'd best go for the National Guard. ;)

When I enlisted it was actually for the Marine Corps Reserves. Depending on what city you live in will determine what MOS(job) you get. I live in Memphis and our reserve unit is infantry(0300's). You'll serve a term of 6x2. That's 6 years active-reserve and 2 years on call. They can call you into duty within those 2 years, but you're not training or anything. During those 6 years you'll do your 1 weekend a month training deal(week-end warrior, tampon, they have lots of names for it) and 2 weeks out of the summer training over at Camp Lejeune, NC or Camp Pendleton; just north of San Diego. It's not very likely that you would ever get called into active duty unless a big scrap started somewhere in the world. And if it did, you would probably be sent out to take the place of the Marines who are being deployed into combat. The reserves are boring, yet necessary. If I had to do it over again I would've went active duty. But then again I didn't even make it through bootcamp. All I have to say is your ass better be in shape 'cause you will be pushed to your limit and passed.

You go through the same exact training as active duty recruits will go through. 13 weeks of fun.

Here's where I stayed for 3.5 months.

Back