Return of the King Reviews

HeXp£Øi±

I'm leaving now to stand in line for but two hours. I imagine a few of you are watching it as i write this. What did you think?

Not I. I would have been there at midnight last night had I not had a Board meeting this morning. I'll wait until next week or so to watch it. Sometime when the movies aren't elbow to asshole packed.

But I'm looking forward! The few reviews I have heard so far are all kickass, with the exception of a missing Sauramon.

Next week for us but USA Today says "FUCKING BITCHEN'" or something to that effect.

Saturday, 7:15pm. I can't wait, I'm seeing the commercials all the time now. This is gonna be a great end to a freakin awesome week. I'm not going to read anyone's opinions till then however, I don't want to go in with preconceived notions. :)

HeXp£Øi± said:
I'm leaving now to stand in line for but two hours. I imagine a few of you are watching it as i write this. What did you think?

That was me!!!, movie started at 5:50pm.

The bad:
- somewhat stupid acting of gollum/smeagol, specially the dialogs.
- the dunedains never arrive. Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are the only ones at the path of the deads.
- voice of saruman is missing.
- house of healing is missing.
- the scope and size of the armies is hard to spot, the size of the battle can well compare to that of Helm's deep on most scenes. There was only 1 pan that made justice to the real magnitude of the battle.
- "i'm a woman"

The good:
- Gollum story (even when it is a bit silly and an error when Smeagol says "give it to us") it is a nice extra.
- The army of the deads :headbang:
- An overall good transcription from the books.
- The ride of the rohirrim :headbang:
- Shelob :headbang:
- The oliphants :headbang:
- Nazguls and their "wings" :headbang:
- The sound :headbang:
- It's the Lord of the rings :headbang:

Shit, I shouldn't have walked in here with the spoilers. they killed him? wait, don't answer that. Did they?

:confused: :cuss:

dead? you meant to say killed gollum, right? :(

They didn't kill Frodo, he just couldn't stay in the shire after the ring was destroyed

Luis G: I thought the "I'm no man. I'm a woman" line was pretty damn funny

20 Things To Do When You See The Movie

1. Stand up halfway through the movie and yell loudly, "Wait... where the hell is Harry Potter?"
2. Block the entrance to the theater while screaming: "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" - After the movie, say "Lucas could have done it better."
3. At some point during the movie, stand up and shout: "I must go! Middle Earth needs me!" and run and try to jump into the screen. After bouncing off, return quietly to your
seat.
4. Play a drinking game where you have to take a sip every time someone says: "The Ring."
5. Point and laugh whenever someone dies.
6. Ask the nearest ring-nut if he thinks Gandalf went to Hogwarts
7. Finish off every one of Elrond's lines with "Mr. Anderson!"
8. When Aragorn is crowned king, stand up and at the top of your lungs sing, "And I did it.... MY way...!"
9. At the end, complain that Gollum was offensive to Ethiopians
10. Talk like Gollum all through the movie. At the end, bite off someone's finger and fall down the stairs.
11. When Shelob appears, pinch the guy in front of you on the back of the neck.
12. Dress up as old ladies and reenact "The Battle of Helms Deep" Monty Python style.
13. When Denethor lights the fire, shout "Barbecue!"
14. Ask people around you who they think is the next "Terminator" sent from the Middle Earth of the future to assassinate Frodo Baggins
15. In TTT when the Ents decide to march to war, stand up and shout "RUN FOREST, RUN!"
16. Every time someone kills an Orc, yell: "That's what I'm Tolkien about!" See how long it takes before you get kicked out of the theatre.
17. During a wide shot of a battle, inquire, "Where's Waldo?"
18. Talk loudly about how you heard that there is a single frame of a nude Elf hidden somewhere in the movie.
19. Start an Orc sing-a-long.
20. Come to the premiere dressed as Frank-N-Furter and wander around looking terribly confused.

CydCharisse said:
Luis G: I thought the "I'm no man. I'm a woman" line was pretty damn funny

Which makes it even worse than ridiculous, this shouldn't be a funny movie.

Luis G said:
Which makes it even worse than ridiculous, this shouldn't be a funny movie.

Luis, it became a funny movie (well trilogy really) the mintue Jackson decided to make a comic relief character out of Gimli :shrug:

I think there was plenty of humour in the books - why not in the movie as well? I rather liked the first two movies with some comic relief, took a bit of the tension out (and i don't think it was at inappropriate times).

Of course there was plenty of humour in the book. But I feel Jackson hasn't handled it altogether very well.

I usually have a problem with the movies based on books if I had read the books first - guess I find it hard to let go of the vision I had in my mind of the characters and so on.

For all those that feel these movies (can't bring myself to use the word 'films') are a valid interpretation of Tolkien's masterpiece, I'd like to quote the immortal Louis Armstrong:
"Man, if you gotta ask you'll never know."

They didn't murder the storyline as much as in TTT, but the results were painful to say at least. Despite that I liked 3 things specially:
- Shelob
- Ride of the Rohirim
- Minas Morgul

Well, I haven't read the books, so I can give this to you from a general perspective, aka the ignorant mind.

I didn't find it as entertaining as The Two Towers. Also, the ending was a tad overdone, but not enough to completely ruin it for me.

Those are my two main complaints. As a big fan of Sam and Pippin, the fact that they played bigger roles really appealed to me. I cried on many occasions, since I grew on the hobbits the most. My favorite creatures of Middle Earth :)

Well, there's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Back