Ringo Starr: Rate his drumming

JJR512

On the local rock radio morning show recently, they were talking about whom they each considered to be rock's greatest drummers. Some people mentioned were the drummers from Led Zepplin and The Who. Somebody mentioned Ringo Starr from The Beatles, and they all pretty much agreed he was a "mediocre" drummer at best.

Now, there's no denying the importance of The Beatles in rock 'n' roll history. But I think it's certainly true that none of the four members have ever been considered to be a genius or virtuoso at any particular instrument. Certainly they were technically adept at playing their respective instruments, and they had excellent writing, singing, and arrangement skills. But they were known more for their overall sound, especially their voices, as well as the words.

Still, I think describing Ringo as "mediocre at best" was a bit harsh.

So what do you think? Do you agree with the "mediocre" assessment? Do you think he was good enough but not special? Do you think he was a great drummer who never got the credit or recognition for his skill/talent that you feel he deserved? (Please remember this is a commentary on how good Ringo Starr was or wasn't, not whether or not you liked his or The Beatles' music.)

Discuss! :)

Ringo was average but the beatles weren't as drum heavy as a band like Slipknott who have an excellent drummer

Disclaimer: I don't own any Slipknott, I saw them on TV and was impressed by the drummer.

Well, a quick think-through of all the Beatles songs I've heard brings up no memorable drum breaks or anything fo that nature.

Makes you wonder about Pete Best, don't it? How bad to do you have to be to be replaced by Ringo?

The only drum break I can think of is from Abbey Road, their last album, during Carry That Weight. It's maybe 10 seconds long and most likely could be performed by anyone who has the physical ability to hold a drum stick and hit a drum with it, even if that person has never before been in the same room with a drum set in his/her life.

A) 90% of what you think is Ringo Starr, isn't. Paul McCartney went in and redid the drum parts on almost all the Beatles' recordings.

Just one of those little things I like knowing...

B) The "drummer from Led Zeppelin" was John Bonham. A legend if ever there was one. He revolutionized rock drumming in more ways than I have time to type.

C) My own personal favorites, in no particular order...

Nicko McBrain - Iron Maiden
Lars Ulrich - Metallica (And I could not care less about the whole Napster/sellout issue...the man's a monster on a drum kit)
Alex Van Halen
Eric Carr - KISS (way underappreciated)
Vinny Appice - Dio, others
Neil Peart - Rush

Ringo was OK, but he never set the world on fire. As others have said, it's not like the Beatles used thier drummer like a lead guitarist. He never would have survived with a band like, say, The Who.

SouthernN'Proud said:
A) C) My own personal favorites, in no particular order...

Lars Ulrich - Metallica (And I could not care less about the whole Napster/sellout issue...the man's a monster on a drum kit)
Alex Van Halen
Neil Peart - Rush

YEEAAHHHHH!!!!!!

I have a piece of Alex's drumstick from a concert here in 1989 ... I still have it. Neil is by far my favorite drummer. His solo one the "Live from Rio" DVD is breathtaking.

I can't leave out Rick Allen though, from Def Leppard ... the music was so-so but his drumming, even after losing an arm ... unreal.

SouthernN'Proud said:
A) 90% of what you think is Ringo Starr, isn't. Paul McCartney went in and redid the drum parts on almost all the Beatles' recordings.

Just one of those little things I like knowing...

B) The "drummer from Led Zeppelin" was John Bonham. A legend if ever there was one. He revolutionized rock drumming in more ways than I have time to type.

C) My own personal favorites, in no particular order...

Alex Van Halen
Neil Peart - Rush

Like any of those guys could hold a candle to Peter Erskine, Buddy Rich, or even Joe Morello...:rolleyes:

I'd put Neil Peart against anybody...anywhere...anytime (for pure percussion)

Lars is outstanding. Metaligreed used to be too.

Back