Risky business

Stop Laughing

My mother found out why her immediate boss and her husband (each had been there over 20 years) quit the pension firm a couple of weeks ago; they're going into business for themselves. I'm sure they kept lists of their clients from there, and the owner has now filed an injunction against the two for it. Here's where it could get interesting: my mother's supposed to have dinner with them sometime soon, and they may try to recruit her. My mother is currently unhappy at her job (she's been there 15 years already) because it's very stressful (lots of deadlines, long hours because of mandatory overtime, etc) and with those two leaving her workload has been greatly increased. She's getting older and is starting to look for another less stressful job, and this may be better if it's lighter work, but if she were to leave for those two and they get into a big legal battle and can't make it in their business, I doubt she'd be able to go back to her old job. Her current place seems to be slipping lately, they've lost a lot of long time employees in the last couple of years as it seems many people there aren't happy with management. Any thoughts on this?

I think it's crazy to quit your job and immediately start working for a new company that already has legal entanglements. Why not tell her to wait until said legal entanglements are worked out? In the meantime, if she hates her job that much, she should actively seek work elsewhere while she's still employed.

My $.02.

I'd say go have dinner. See what they want from her. If it's an updated client list, go see her current boss, it may be better for her in the end.

Worst case scenario is that if she leaves for those two and the injunction buries them, then she's got no job, and that's a really big gamble. How exactly does the injunction work anyways? She is still looking elsewhere as she doesn't want to leave without having another place to go to.

I would suggest that she talk to the new boss right off the get-go and say what changes she'd like in her current job. That she's been there 15 yrs and needs to mix things up a little? Perhaps no more OT or slightly less work load or something? It couldnt' hurt, I mean, if she wanted to look for something else anyways, then she's already got the long leg out. After all, she does have the seniority card, right? She knows the business well.

Then - have dinner with the old boss and see what they have to say.

Stop Laughing said:
Worst case scenario is that if she leaves for those two and the injunction buries them, then she's got no job, and that's a really big gamble. How exactly does the injunction work anyways? She is still looking elsewhere as she doesn't want to leave without having another place to go to.

An injunction is basically a court order to stop doing something. In this case, I'd bet it would order them to stop marketing to any client of the old firm for a specified period, but that's a guess. Depending on the suit, your local laws, and any non-compete agreement these guys signed, it could stop them from opening their doors at all.

At her age, I wouldn't recommend it. If she wants a new job, go look for one.

Back