Ryan Bennett...

Inkara1

...was a sportscaster for Action News on KSBY-TV channel 6 around here. Ie left in January and moved to Utah to do TV commentary for Ultimate Fighting. A couple of weeks ago, he was on the freeway with his family and was killed in a car accident. The rest of the family survived but several members were hurt pretty bad.

So there's been an outpouring of support from locals around here, with all sorts of fund-raising to help support the family.

Meanwhile, Derek Thomas was killed on May 26 in a car crash. There's a memorial fund set up for him, but no benefit barbecues, no pizza parlors donating the day's sales, etc.

Just something I thought was interesting.

One was a "celebrity" one was not.

not saying it is right.

also second one was a drunk driver, he got what he deserved.

He's just the most recent example I could find a story for. There are plenty of others who die on roads around here who never have such support.

It's just interesting that somehow, celebrities' families are more worthy of help. I met the guy two or three times because of our job paths, but I didn't feel compelled to rush right out and give money because I haven't done it for any of the other people that have been killed on the local roads.

celebrity helps, but it is also up to the community to get these things together.

Been to a few tragic funereals where the deseased was popular in the local community, and these fundraisers, etc. did happen.

If the dead isn't liked no one is going to get off their butt and do anything.

Hey, we all know that Beonce is more important than Bob the Plumber :shrug:

Back