Satellite babeh!

Altron

I just snagged two satellite dishes. One is Dish Network with two of the things at the end and four pieces of coax coming out, the other is [I think] DirecTV with a somewhat oval dish and three things at the end with three pieces of coax coming out. I was talking to my uncle and he told me that if I go on ebay and pick up some satellite recievers, I can watch all sorts of weird foreign TV stations, and watch live feeds from cameras before they offically broadcast it over cable. He also said that I should rent the movie "Videodrome". Apparantly, only DirecTV and Dish Network are scrambled, and there are tons of unscrambled satellite broadcasts that I can get for free.

Anyone know anything about this?

I know enough to say that mini-dishes (those offered by Echostar & Hughes) will not work for true satelite TV systems.

The real good channels are coded, so while you'll have a ton of channels, the really good ones will be scrambled.

HBO started scrambling their signal a good two decades ago because people would try that stuff.

That said, you'd need a 10-foot dish to access C-band programming. Is it possible to find something with the Dish and DirecTV multi-satellite dishes? Perhaps, but without knowing beforehand what you'd be looking for and exactly what azimuth, tilt and skew to put the dish at, it would be such a pain int he ass to find the right satellite that it wouldn't be worth thr trouble. Then you'd have to find a hacked receiver box. Echostar and Hughes scramble the signals and the receiver's smart card number (they're built into the boxes these days, much like the ESN on a cell phone, to make it harder) has to be recognized by the systems as activated in order for it to work.

In addition, where do you live? If it's in a house with your parents, will they let you bolt a dish to the house? If it's in an apartment, your options for where to mount it are limited. You can't put it on the roof or the common wall. You can put it on your balcony, but if the orientation of the building blocks your view to the south, then you're SOL.

Back