Sea Fog.

K62

After spending last night at a buds place drinking the 151 proof, I got to spend the next morning walking for about 1.5 hours across the city to my mothers office because I forgot to bring the key to my house with me.

I'll tell ya, it was damn cold. It must have been around -35c with the wind chill, yet I couldn't justify handing $8.00 to a cabby when I could use the two feet and a heart beat that god had given me.

To the point, here is a couple of neat shots that I took this morning of some sea fog over the harbour.

It wouldn't have been a nice day for a swim.

img00556si.jpg

img00548sa.jpg

Man, I wish our sea fog was that light. Down here on the Gulf of Mexico, it's always 9-10 meters high and zero vis. Fortunately it's a fairly rare phenomenon that only occurs when the water is warm (~20c) and the air is cold and calm, usually only in January. It forms a wall that stops at the beach - looks pretty cool from the hard.

The only thing I hated about running boats was fog. Running hooked up (24 kts.) down a narrow channel with heavy traffic in zero vis, not even bothering to look out the wheelhouse windows, just staring at the radar screen, always made me so tense I would literally be sore the next day. I'll take heavy seas over fog any day.

This is approximately what the view out the windshield is when stuck in the fog in California's Central Valley:

Yeah sometimes in the morning the fog gets so bad here, its a major "White-Out". Visibitilty-not even headlight distance.

Very KEWL pics though......

Shark, you realize that's ice fog, doncha?

K62, I once spent a week in St-john without using that bridge once.

This isn't normal fog. We get huge fog banks that roll in all the time and don't leave much more than a few feet of visibility. This sea fog,, or sea smoke as I have heard people call it. It stays only a few meters above the water. It looks pretty neat when you can't see any water when you look out to sea, just a layer of low fog.

Prof, Ah yeah.. the good ol' Harbour Bridge. I don't use it all that much either, I prefer the reversing falls bridge, it is faster from my house. :D

Can you post a pic or two of the Hillside Motel, from downhill? Perhaps one from the rear parking lot too. Show folks what $57.50 a night is worth.

Professur said:
Can you post a pic or two of the Hillside Motel, from downhill? Perhaps one from the rear parking lot too. Show folks what $57.50 a night is worth.

haha sure can next time I go by there.

That is on Manawagonish, right?

That is pretty close to my house, I am at 96x Manawagonish.

There is a pretty nice view overlooking the nature park from there :)

Yes. Yes it is. We always got the bottom, outside suite, and at night would sit with the lights out watching the ships slip past.

Sorry I took so long to take them, but CRAP!

I took some from the Hillcrest motel, not the Hillside. grr. I knew it started with Hill, but picked the wrong one.

img01091ux.jpg

img01116yh.jpg

img01128jv.jpg

I will take some from the right motel when I have more time. I am heading off to Halifax for the weekend in about an hour.

Sorry Kay,
that all just looks TOO DAMN cold!

Now this summer when we have over a hundred days
over 37.778 C the same places will look so inviting :wink2:

Then again I spent one of my birthdays in La Jolla CA on the beach.
Mebbe they were having a cold snap with highs in the 18-20 C
range but after being here in the desert with highs that averaged 45 C
I was wearing a heavy sweater in July!

Back