Seagate buys Maxtor for $1.9B

greenfreak

Holy crap.

Seagate is seeking to take advantage of efficiencies of scale, the attendant reductions in supply chain costs, and synergies created by the merging of the two companies’ R&D units.

Seagate, of Scotts Valley, California, sells hard drives to PC and server manufacturers, also via distributors. Back in 2000, investment firms Silver Lake Partners and Texas Pacific Group took Seagate private. The two firms now own roughly 10 percent and 7 percent of the company, respectively.

Maxtor of Milpitas, California, manufactures hard disk drives used in PCs made by manufacturers such as Dell and Hewlett-Packard. The company also has a very strong retail presence. Its drives can be found in a number of consumer electronics products.
http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=14965&hed=Seagate+Buys+Maxtor+for+%241.9B&sector=Industries&subsector=Computing

I put a 40GB Seagate drive in my mom's computer. The thing is so quiet it can't be heard over the fans... and they're not loud fans. It freaked me out at first.

Me too; of the other brands, Maxtor held out with the 3-year warranty when I could only find 1-year warranties with some others of the same size.

I just bought myself a Maxtor 120gb a couple of months back to add to the Maxtor 30 and Maxtor 10 that I already have.

I don't see this raising prices, if anything it should lower them.

ahhh maybe segate will change the maxtor warranty to 5 years like they do on their own drives.

I went strictly seagate on all sata drives about 8 moths ago anyway...for the 5 year warranty.
I didn't like them for ide because they didn't really do ata133, only 100.

Yeah, I'd like to see some ata133 8mb cache w/5 year for the same price. :nerd:

Why lower them?
To beat the remaining competition.
Hard drive prices have been falling like a rock for years.
If you think for one nanosecond that Seagate is going to
be able start charging lots of money for its products
you'd be dead wrong.

Hitachi would spank them in the blink of an eye
and Western Digital would have a chance to survive
(which they probably don't currently).

They always 'had' at least slightly higher prices.
They are the Cadillac of drives so to speak. (with the big warranty and tech)
Only in about the last 4-6 months have they made the pricing more competitive.
Most drives have the speed now, so most people are starting to look for the
dependability factor, and that "5 year" is hard to pass up, especially for people
that don't think to backup often enough.

Back