Seattle insanity, or...

Many-A-Time have I felt like bustin a cap into a vehicle that has frustrated me. :banghead:

(sad part is it probably seemed logical to him at the time)

Or at least to keep guns away from Kruz while he's working. I suppose you'd get canned for shooting up a customer's car, huh? OTOH, who's gonna tell you you're fired? ;)

No one knows I carry unless I want them to...:grinno:

carry1.jpg

...Why does that hammer position bother me?

it shouldn't bother you, it is the way 1911s are meant to be carried (cocked & locked). or "Condition 1"
When the gun is cocked and locked, the sear is blocked from releasing the hammer. Further, unless a firing grip is on the pistol, thumb safety swept off, and the trigger is pulled, the gun will not go off. For my money, this is much safer than a Glock or some of the other new pistol designs which have no external safety. The Glock, by the way, is also pre-cocked which is why it can have a much lighter trigger than a real double action gun. It could be said that the Glock is “cocked and unlocked” which is called “condition zero” with the M1911. we hear of many more "accidental discharges" with Glocks than with M1911 pattern guns. The 1911 has two manual safeties. It may look scary, but it is really much safer than many current designs.

This is a snip from an article I found interesting.

Why a 45?
By Lindsey Bertomen

The 11.4mm autoloading, single-action handgun design is more than 102 years old. Originally conceived by John Moses Browning in 1905 and refined in 1911, it has been enlisted, commissioned and sworn in as an institution.

The .45 is safer

The modern .45 has three safeties: grip, thumb and firing pin. The trigger cannot be depressed unless the grip safety is squeezed. The hammer cannot fall unless the thumb safety is pushed down in the "fire" position. The thumb safety also locks the slide in battery. On most .45s, the firing pin cannot contact the primer unless the trigger is all the way to the rear, which actuates a plunger. This safety combination is perfect for high stress, gross motor skill combat.

The thumb safety locks the slide, hammer and sear, preventing the hammer from falling. Because the slide is locked when the thumb safety is activated (up), the officer can reholster with confidence. The gun will not fire unless all three safety events coincide.

In 1983, Colt added a feature to its Government Model line that prevented the firing pin from moving forward unless the trigger was pulled. When considering a law enforcement .45, dismiss any firearm that does not have this feature. Many manufacturers have recognized the liability of inertial firing and use a firing pin block.

Agencies should require additional training for officers who carry .45s. Officers need to train the motor skill of sweeping the safety before firing. The .45's safety should be on until the moment an officer fires. Having a manual safety engaged is additional protection from tragic circumstances. The general rule: Eyes on target — safety off; Check for additional targets — safety on.

Officers should select a gun whose safety has a positive click, one that takes a deliberate action to disengage and instinctively engage it. When shopping, stick to low profile safety styles. Major manufacturers like Smith & Wesson and Springfield have done the homework for you. Law enforcement firearms have low-profile, positive click safeties.

The cartridge

The .45 cartridge was designed for maximum effectiveness of the sidearm. The original military specifications called for a cartridge that fired a 230-grain .45-caliber bullet 800 feet per second (fps).

This standard doesn't approach current law enforcement cartridges. For example, Hornady's 230-grain +P TAP-FPD has a muzzle velocity of 950 fps and muzzle energy of 461 foot-pounds. When fired into ballistic gelatin, they create huge cavities and long trenches.

The .45 has earned its place in history and respect in the police armory. It is an outstanding choice for the officer seeking a versatile and reliable tool.

http://www.officer.com/print/Law-Enforcement-Technology/Why-a-45/1$35705

Back