*sigh* Help with hair ladies.

IDLEchild

So I have long hair....it is dry as fuck and it needs life...suggestions?

The weather here is dry...dry cold winds so that adds to the frustration but my hair is extremely tenacious...once it goes into a certain shape, come high hell or water, it will not budge. It is extremely dry and is losing its luster since it has been growing and for some odd reason it is bunching up in a tumbleweed shape when it reaches my back (parallel to the shoulders).

It use to be shiny and I was easily able to move my fingers through...now...well...it hurts to even put my fingers in my hair because of all the tangles.

Suggestions?...you ladies have long hair I presume (or dudes)

I was thinking Papaya extracts but let me get some suggestions before I go defcon4 by turning into a woman and trying fruits on my head. Thanks.

um...I say get it cut and start over, treating it real well. I loooooooooooooove L'Oreal Hydravive, it's the best shampoo/conditioner I've EVER used.

as your hair gets long, it starts to break off and look ratty...you think you're growing it but it's just cracking and looking like hell. A trim every once and a while will keep it looking lovely.

and maybe on extra flyaway days, an anti-frizz too...Pantene makes a nice one.

Leslie said:
um...I say get it cut and start over, treating it real well. I loooooooooooooove L'Oreal Hydravive, it's the best shampoo/conditioner I've EVER used.

NOOOO...no starting over.

as your hair gets long, it starts to break off and look ratty...you think you're growing it but it's just cracking and looking like hell. A trim every once and a while will keep it looking lovely.

Bingo....Well my manliness will be tested when I walk into a testosterone soaked barbershop and ask for a pretty little trim.

and maybe on extra flyaway days, an anti-frizz too...Pantene makes a nice one.

Those are all I have.

You're supposed to get a trim every 6 weeks or so. Also, combing conditioner through will help A LOT. Make sure it's a wide-tooth comb though.

pantene makes a great 3 minute deep conditioner...they sell it next to the other pantene products. it is recommended to be used weekly but i do it biweekly (my hair is dry from coloring/hairspray/gel). aussie also makes a 3 minute miracle but i find that to be crap.

Les is right...once you've got that tumbleweed thing goin' on you've got some major splitting f the hair...hair is dead once itleaves your scalp, there is on'y so much you can do to fix it if it's not healthy...and most of them don't work well...prevention is the key, I'd say start again.

Camelyn said:
These guys have the best stuff for hair care IMO:

http://www.got2b.com/

The dazzling spray is great to perk up dry hair. There is a whole line of other products that may be helpful for you though

You seriously expect me to shop there? I mean how do I hide the fact that my hair needs are fullfilled by them?

I've had long hair for the past 7 years or so... past my shoulders and at times halfway down my back. Once a year I get 4-6 inches cut off.

In my experience I've never found a difference in hair products. I buy the cheapest shampoo at the supermarket, and rarely use conditioner. My hair is healthy and this is due, I believe, to the fact that I never ever use a blow dryer. :shrug:

I'm extremely partial to Garnier's new Fructise. it conditions and cleans really well, and and comes in a nice green bottle. I'd highly recommend it.

Bob, if you want somethign more ... "manly"... my husband uses a Suave 2-in-1 that seems to work nicely. I've even used it before and liked it.

Back To Basics had a Rasberry Almosd conditioner that is very intense and awesome. Just work it into the ends of your hair once a week after you do your normal later rinse repeat action. You can also do a hot oil treatment--only on the ends-- one time to get the healing process started.

There are some okay suggestions here, but I just did something that really worked. I just had my hair streaked and it always becomes very dry after it. My mom is a hair dresser so I asked her what the best solution is. My scalp is always very dry too and becomes quite itchy. So, my mom told me Hellman's real mayonnaise. You put it into your hair when it's clean and dry. Massage it in really well, put a shower cap or something like that over your hair and put a towel around your head to prevent the oil from leaking all over the place. Leave it in for 1 hour. Shampoo it out a few times, condition and blow dry. Do this a few times over the course of a few weeks and your see and feel the difference. I did it and it worked wonders. Good luck!

My hair is halfway down my back and I use this leave-in conditioner by Rusk that has sea kelp in it. It makes your hair so soft and doesn't weigh it down. I love it!

there's some interesting information here, IC: http://www.consumersearch.com/www/family/shampoo/fullstory.html

points that stand out for me

1 -- Be aware of shampoos that claim to repair, restructure or nourish damaged hair. Hair is dead; it can't be repaired. Shampoo products can only help the look and feel of hair temporarily.

2 -- Pricier salon-brand shampoos don't necessarily outperform inexpensive store brands. The same ingredients are often used for products in different price ranges.

Back