Sit in the sun to prevent prostate cancer??

Uki Chick

Sunbathing can deflect prostate cancer risk:-
California | June 16, 2005 4:06:02 PM IST

California, June 16 : Increased exposure to sunlight may decrease the risk of prostate cancer in men, scientists have said.

Researchers led by Esther John of the Northern California Cancer Center have found that men with high sun exposure have half the risk of prostate cancer than people with low sun exposure, reported the science portal EurekAlert.

The research studied 450 non-Hispanic white patients who had advanced prostate cancer with a matched control group of 455 men who didn't suffer from the disease.

The prostate is a walnut-sized gland located at the base of the bladder that surrounds the urethra, the tube through which urine exits the body. Cancer of the prostate is linked to aging and tends to affect men after the age of 50.

Scientists measured sun exposure by comparing pigmentation of underarm skin, which is usually not exposed to sunlight, with forehead pigmentation, which is, using a portable reflectometer.

The study showed that there was no difference in the underarm measurement between the prostate cancer cases and the control group. But when the forehead colour was compared to the underarm colour, the control group had significantly darker pigmentation than the cancer patients.

Increasing darkness is associated with a trend of decreasing risk of prostate cancer.

"We believe that sunlight helps to reduce the risk of prostate cancer because the body manufactures the active form of vitamin D from exposure to sunlight," John said.

Prostate uses vitamin D to promote the normal growth of prostate cells and to inhibit the invasiveness and spread of prostate cancer cells to other parts of the body.

However, the researchers warned that men must not expose them to excessive sunlight to reduce their risk of prostate cancer. They are studying the effects of sun exposure and genotype to define the exposure period that is important in influencing prostate cancer risk.

The study was conducted jointly by three renowned cancer centres -- Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California, Comprehensive Cancer Center of Wake Forest University and Northern California Cancer Center.

Source

So don't worry about skin cancer anymore, because your prostate needs the sun!

I'll take what's behind door number 3.

Isn't frequent ejaculations supposed to reduce the risk of prostate cancer? This entire study could simply be pointing out that people who sunbathe jerk off/have sex more than the rest of us.

So, um, how exactly do you expose your prostate to the sunlight. :lloyd:

Never mind, I don't think I wanna know.

Eh, next month they'll be saying ...
"oops, we now have found that it promotes it" then you'll have both. :lol2:

Not being male, I can't say much about the prostate, but having had several skin cancers removed, I think I'd stay out of the sun.

Professur said:
I'd have to say being an asshole in public would be a good start.

I thought you were talking to me for a sec

But I only act like one on the internet
so I'm sure you weren't referring to me.

Back