sleep program for windows?

Mirlyn

I need to have a machine turn off after a period of inactivity. Any ideas? Is there an idle timer for Windows?

Its for a batch file, so a command-line interface is a must.

Thanks! :headbang:

Also....an additional question....is there a "who" for windows? I need to remotely see if the machine is being used or not

Thanks again!

Which version of Windows are you using? Most versions have a Power Management part of the control panel.

Edit: There is a 'who', ie the user logged in atm. Which person is logged in determines a shitload of settings, so thoretically the 'check who is using it' could work... Firewalls and stuff are a whole different matter, oc.

Kawaii said:
Which version of Windows are you using? Most versions have a Power Management part of the control panel.
2000 and XP, but I want to do more than that will let me. ;) Physically turn the machine off after an hour of inactivity. I can turn the machines off remotely now, but I can't tell if anyone is logged in or if someone is, how long they've been idle.

Kawaii said:

Edit: There is a 'who', ie the user logged in atm. Which person is logged in determines a shitload of settings, so thoretically the 'check who is using it' could work... Firewalls and stuff are a whole different matter, oc.
There is a who? I can't seem to find anything about it. Does it work like the unix 'who'?

Mirlyn said:
There is a who? I can't seem to find anything about it. Does it work like the unix 'who'?
Errm, well technnically it isn't really a 'who', but i think you should be able to determine which account is logged in. I have no idea if there is such a program, but it should be doable.... (determine it remotely, oc)

Getting closer....got it to work by doing some scheduling.

Now I need to figure out how to do it via command-line.

Mirlyn said:
2000 and XP, but I want to do more than that will let me. ;) Physically turn the machine off after an hour of inactivity. I can turn the machines off remotely now, but I can't tell if anyone is logged in or if someone is, how long they've been idle.

I have a program that will automatically logoff/reboot/shutdown/hibernate/powerdown/standby/lock a computer based on a set schedule. It even has a wake-on-LAN feature. I use it to reboot my computer at 5 in the morning after it performs a bunch of back ups. you can have it pop up a warning window of eminant shut down set to go off at any amount of time you designate. It has an Allow Cancel feature and you can tell it to only perform after a certain process stops so if you can designate a specific process that always occure when a user is active on the system then you could probably tell it to kill after said process stops plus one hour. not sure.

Mirlyn said:
Getting closer....got it to work by doing some scheduling.

Now I need to figure out how to do it via command-line.

Is it possible to use "at" commands instead of the windows scheduler for this specific case?

rrfield

rrfield said:
Is it possible to use "at" commands instead of the windows scheduler for this specific case?

rrfield
Tried...but "at" doesn't have a switch for idle. It seems to only accept 24-hour time values.

Back