Sleeping Patterns

PrincessLissa

Not that I should really be too worried about establishing one right now as in a few weeks I will have no sleep let alone a pattern. :D Erik's company has a contract working all the phone, computer, and some of the electrical stuff at all of the local Sam's Clubs. In order to do this he works from 8:30 pm to whenever he gets home in the morning. It's been hard on me too as I have to be quiet while he sleeps and I hav a hard time sleeping when he's not here. Some nights I go to bed around 9 in the evening. Other nights I go to bed at 4 in the morning.

My body isn't acting too funny about the weird sleep schedule, maybe it's trying to get me used to the nightly feedings I will have in the near future.

PrincessLissa said:
Not that I should really be too worried about establishing one right now as in a few weeks I will have no sleep let alone a pattern. :D Erik's company has a contract working all the phone, computer, and some of the electrical stuff at all of the local Sam's Clubs. In order to do this he works from 8:30 pm to whenever he gets home in the morning. It's been hard on me too as I have to be quiet while he sleeps and I hav a hard time sleeping when he's not here. Some nights I go to bed around 9 in the evening. Other nights I go to bed at 4 in the morning.

My body isn't acting too funny about the weird sleep schedule, maybe it's trying to get me used to the nightly feedings I will have in the near future.

As for you getting sleep right now......your body is going through alot....it will let you know when it needs sleep. as for when the baby comes found this article thought you might like to read-sorry so long...I use www.mayoclinic.com alot it comes in handy for alot of things, check it out!

New Parents: Tips for Better Sleep

By MayoClinic.com

It's 2 a.m. and you hear your newborn crying. You begin to wonder, "Is it my turn to get up?" Ask any parent to name one of the biggest changes brought about by a newborn, and he or she probably will mention sleeping patterns.

Do you wonder whether your baby is getting enough sleep — or even sleeping too much? The infant sleep pattern is a matter of frequent discussion and even hot debate. When, where, how long, how often — these are all important questions. They become complicated, however, when you consider that each baby is unique, with his or her own personality and distinguishing traits, many of which affect sleeping patterns. Here are some helpful tips to get you and your baby on track for safe, sound and sufficient sleep.

Babies and sleep

During the first few weeks of life, your baby will spend a total of 16 to 20 hours a day sleeping or dozing, mainly in intervals that last a few hours each. Don't be alarmed if your newborn's sleep follows no consistent pattern or varies from day to day. Your baby's sleep patterns will become more consistent as his or her nervous system matures and "internal clock" develops.

At first, babies have a difficult time distinguishing the difference between night and day, which makes it hard for them to sleep through the night. As your baby gets older, he or she will start recognizing this timetable difference and will shift more sleep to nighttime hours.

You're probably wondering when your baby will begin sleeping through the night. The phrase sleeping through the night can be misleading. In fact, during the first few months this often means sleeping only five hours.

All babies — and adults, too — waken periodically throughout the night. Your baby's stirring at night doesn't necessarily indicate distress. By six months, most babies have settled into a pattern of sleeping about three hours during the day and 11 hours at night. If by six months your infant is still waking up repeatedly during the night, for example five or six times, ask your doctor for advice on what to do.

Helping your baby develop good sleeping habits

All things considered, babies are pretty good at learning to sleep on their own. Problems with sleeping often occur because of learned associations with sleeping — and this is where you as the parent come in. Here are some tips to help you and your baby establish a successful bedtime routine.

Put your baby to bed drowsy but awake. That way, your baby will associate bed with the process of falling asleep.
Quietly soothe your baby back to sleep after awakening at night. When your baby needs care or feeding in the night, leave the lights dim, speak in a soft voice, and move calmly and deliberately to let him or her know that it's sleep time, not playtime. This will help your baby distinguish night from day. A soft background white noise from a fan or humidifier, or even playing a recording of the sounds of waves can be calming and lessen the likelihood that the baby will alert to other sounds in the house.
Try not to let your baby take long daytime naps. Too much sleep during the day can lead to wakefulness at bedtime or frequent waking during the night. As a newborn, your baby may nap sporadically during the daytime. At eight weeks, however, your baby will begin to nap more regularly — sleeping a total of about five hours during the day. By the time babies are 1 year old, the average napping time is about 2.5 hours.
Encourage your baby to fall asleep without a pacifier. Although it might help your baby fall asleep, a pacifier can also be responsible for sudden awakening when it falls out of the mouth.
Don't try medicines to make the baby sleep. It's not a good idea to try medicines with an intent to make the baby sleepy. Parents might wonder if someone makes "sleeping pills" for babies — unfortunately that isn't a good solution.
Try not to respond immediately to your infant's first cry or fuss. Just like adults, babies take a few minutes to find a comfortable position, settle in and fall back asleep. Unlike you, however, one of the only comforting mechanisms your baby has is crying. Expect some crying as the baby tries to fall back to sleep.
Try sleeping in a room separate from your baby. In the first weeks, many parents, especially breast-feeding mothers, find it's more practical to have their newborn sleep in the parents' bedroom. But in time, you may begin to find the baby's continued presence disruptive. Even when they aren't awake or crying, babies make lots of little noises that might wake you up. Try having the baby sleep in a different room — parents and baby might all rest better.
During the baby's first two months, you most likely will know whether you have a night owl or an early bird. This is another area in which your baby will assert his or her unique personality. Even if you and your baby are opposites, create routines and schedules that respect your baby's preferences.

Keep it in perspective

Remember that every baby is different. Don't feel pressured or rushed to have your baby sleeping through the night. Understanding your baby's schedule and ways of communicating takes time. Good sleep habits should be a parenting goal you're working toward, not an issue that creates unnecessary guilt.

Back