Snow closes schools in mountain counties

Professur

By MIKE MORRIS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/09/06

An overnight snowfall left minor accumulations across extreme North Georgia, closing schools Thursday in a handful of mountain counties.

Flurries were reported before daybreak as far south as northern Cherokee and Dawson counties, and forecasters at the National Weather Service said another round of snow is possible across the mountains Friday night and Saturday.
Classes were cancelled Thursday in Pickens, Fannin, Gilmer, Union and Rabun counties.

Holly Phillips, who works at the Fannin County Jail in Blue Ridge, said the snow fell "off and on all night." About one inch of snow had accumulated by 6 a.m., she said.

Some roads in Fannin, which borders Tennessee, were icy before daybreak, Phillips said.

The precipitation was expected to end later this morning, the National Weather Service said.

Another weather system arriving Friday night should bring more precipitation.

"Fortunately, temperatures will warm on Friday and stay above freezing Friday night, except for the mountains, where there could be a mix of rain and snow," the Weather Service said.

The forecast for metro Atlanta calls for clear skies tonight, with lows in the upper 20s.

Friday will be mostly sunny, with highs in the low 50s, the Weather Service said. Occasional rain is forecast for Friday night, with low temperatures in the mid-30s.

Mostly cloudy skies, a 20 percent chance of morning rain and highs in the mid-40s are forecast for Saturday, followed by partly cloudy skies on Sunday, with morning lows in the mid-20s and afternoon readings in the low 50s.

ROFL an inch, and they shut down.

Source

Since I started Uni in Sept 2002 the schools in Hamilton have been closed ONCE due to bad weather (I know cause as soon as the public schools close we close too)...and that day the snow really was insane...there was so much of it falling they couldn't keep the roads even remotely clear...it was my first year, I went to get food ONCE all day, I bought a whole bunch and brought it back to my room...wasn't about to go out in that storm twice...

That's probably because it snows more than once a decade there so you keep the proper equipment around. Here, 1/4 of an inch can close the freeway.

Its not the snow. Its a black ice accumulation on bridges and certain mountain inclines that do it. Some of those 20% hill grades are a wee bit tricky under ice.

What can we say? We only see real snow every third year.

Let an inch of snow hit Miami and then you can watch real fireworks of social breakdown occur.

That's where my mother lives (along with a bunch of the rest of my family). Unc's right, it ain't the snow. It's the ice layer underneath and the fact that the roads there have more twists and turns than a bowl of spaghetti.

I think the idea of a bus full of screaming 5th graders rolling down a 100-meter drop kinda causes the school administrators some concern.

HomeLAN said:
That's where my mother lives (along with a bunch of the rest of my family). Unc's right, it ain't the snow. It's the ice layer underneath and the fact that the roads there have more twists and turns than a bowl of spaghetti.

I think the idea of a bus full of screaming 5th graders rolling down a 100-meter drop kinda causes the school administrators some concern.

Just give them helmets and tell them it's an extreme sport. They'll buy that.

Gonz said:
There aren't any mountains in Georgia. They're hills.
mountains, hills, there's still some steep grades in parts, and I wouldn't want
my kid riding in a bus on them in ice/snow.
Hell I don't trust most bus drivers in good weather. :lol2:

Brasstown Bald (our highest point) is 4784 feet above sea level. It isn't a mile and it isn't above the timber line... but its sure as hell enough of a mountain for me.

unclehobart said:
Brasstown Bald (our highest point) is 4784 feet above sea level. It isn't a mile and it isn't above the timber line... but its sure as hell enough of a mountain for me.
If you climb that bastich, you'll think it's a mountain then. :D (I did in my younger days)

edit: "you" in a rhetorical manner ;)

SouthernN'Proud said:
As compared to those awe inspiring peaks in Indiana?

Who said shit about Indiana? They don't even qualify as hills here.

I've been through there. It wasn't all that big of a deal. Now get out of town about 10 miles and hit some ranch trails... that would be nice. Too bad the whole area starts out at a higher elevation than Denver.

Back