So I finally got around to a 7v mod

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
And now my temperatures are all over the place. Right now it's sitting at 49, but it's been up to 57 and down to 36. Case temp is 25. I used cpuburn to get it up to 57 and I'm gonna go play some America Army and see what that does, but I'm a little concerned about the fluctuation.

PT

The cpu fan, I had this Dragon Orb 3, but the damn thing was loud. As for the noise aspect, I'm thrilled, it's silent now in comparison. Temps are still a bit funny, but after a half-hour of playing, I'm still only sitting at 54.

Altron

Dragon Orb 3...
One of the reviews said to get a ThermalRight SLK-800 and a Thermaltake SmartFan II, it is much quiter (DOrb is only 37dB but it is 7000RPM, SF2 is 48dB but 4800RPM it is less of a screamer)

PT

All I know is it was fucking loud, high pitch scream, it's only about a 30mm fan on it.

PT

Don't have to now, it's quiet enough I don't have to wake the wife when listening to my music anymore. :thumbup:

Altron said:
Ok, just be careful for overheating (If you have AMD)

bullshit, AMD processors tend to carry the heat well and crash at far higher temps than any Intel processor could, fyi the latest PIV cpus put out more heat than any AMD processor ever has and my XP @ 2370Mhz runs at 52C max on a zalman cu6000 at the lowest setting, this same sink had a T-Bird 1.4Ghz at 54C max, shows you something dunnit?

Altron

Yes, I am saying be careful with heat, because AMDs will overheat, and they die. Pentiums just shut off or slow down.

omfg, where do you get your info?? AMD cpus DO NOT die unless the HEATSINK is REMOVED, if the fan is too slow or the fan fails in 99.9% of the cases it FREEZES and shuts down, thas all.

PT

I'm not worried about it, I've got mbprobe, which will give me warning beep at 60, shut the system down at 65, and it's set in the bios to warn me at 62, and shut down at 70. If one fails, the other will do it's job, I'm sure.

that was just an estimate allowing for error, in my book its 100% ;) By the way, even if the sink falls out now, and the board supports C.O.P (cpu over heat protection or somethin) with XP processors only though, theres a high chance it'll survive, i tried this with an Asus A7V333, removed the sink from a lemon 1600+ (did 50Mhz more only and with 1.85V)and it shutdown, upon replacement of sink, voila booted!