So it begins

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
LOS ANGELES Dec 14, 2004 — The U.S. film industry is preparing to sue computer server operators in the United States and Europe who help relay digitized movie files across online file-sharing networks, a source familiar with the movie studios' plans said Tuesday.

ABCNews

Wave byebye to the bittorrent players

A popular peer-to-peer file-sharing website has closed down amid mounting efforts by the movie industry to crack down on online piracy.

The Suprnova website was one of the most popular places for people swapping and sharing links to illegal copies of films on the BitTorrent network.

A recent study showed that more than half of the peer-to-peer traffic during June was for the BitTorrent system, which allows files to be shared among multiple users at the time.

In a message posted on Suprnova.org yesterday, the site's controllers said the website was "closing down for good in the way that we all know it".

The message adds: "We are very sorry for this, but there was no other way, we have tried everything."

Suprnova states that, if the site does return, it will no longer host any more torrent links.

Phoenix Torrents, another popular BitTorrent site, has also decided to shut down and last week Finnish police raided a BitTorrent site that reportedly let 10,000 users share pirated films, software, music and games.

The closures follow news that the Motion Picture Association of America has launched a campaign to sue the people behind the sites that provide information and links to illegal copies of films.

It has also filed suits against users of file-sharing programmes BitTorrent, eDonkey and DirectConnect in the US and Europe.

"The message today is clear: if you illegally trade movies online, we can find you and we will hold you accountable," said MPAA senior vice president John Malcolm.

The MPAA claims that more than £3.5 billion will be lost to film piracy this year, excluding the losses from online file sharing.

© 1998-2004 DeHavilland Information Services plc. All rights reserved.

:bolt: :dump: this sux.....

but look at the traffic they generated.

Attachments

• traffic_chart_210x186.gif
    traffic_chart_210x186.gif
    8.5 KB · Views: 11
I don't fileshare, and haven't since I caught every virus known to mankind from Napster. Even if it were legal, I wouldn't bother with this...just not that big a movie buff.

I'm torn on the whole issue. On the one hand, I feel for people who wish to share music or other media. It ain't like piracy is going to be stopped this easily anyway, though it does seem to be among the more prevalent methods of pirating copyrighted materials.

On the other hand, I clearly see and understand the copyright owners' position. They pay ungodly amounts of money for the exclusive right to market a piece of music, or a film, or whatever. In return, they are entitled to profit from that item. It may not seem like much to us the average fan/consumer, but multiply that download you got for free times, say, 80,000. At a buck apiece, that adds up. It denies the legal copyright owner of income, it denies the writer income, it denies the performer(s) income...everybody involved in the piece of work loses money except the individual who downloads it for free. Without someone to market the movie/song/whatever, it does not get exposure to fans. Without that, the demand for the work diminishes. We all understand the principle of supply and demand, so when you really look at it the long term far reaching effects of illicit file sharing end up costing us, the fans, more money in the long run. Sure, maybe I got me a free copy of an mp3 that I got out of paying a buck for. Seems like chump change. Like I said though, when that gets multiplied thousands of times over every day, we're talking megabucks.

The ruling will have zero effect on me personally, so it ain't like I care that much either way. I just wanted to try and present a little bit of the opposing perspective for consideration. Do I personally care if some big shot music or movie publicist gets slighted a buck on their next royalty check? Not in the least. I do however care when they start recouping those lost dollars with higher CD, DVD etc prices. And bet your ass, they will, do, and have been doing that very thing. A CD is very cheap to manufacture. Nowhere near the 18 bucks they charge a consumer for it. The extra is recouping thier losses from, among other things, piracy via file sharing. So I guess my final stance on it is, I approve of the ruling. I collect music, so I want the authentic item complete with liner notes, cover artwork...everything. I realize others don't place that high a priority on having all that with their CD. I do. I'm also tired of paying for thousands of illegal downloads when I purchase a CD.

And then the servers will move to Islands where such jurisdictions have no effect.

Luis G said:
And then the servers will move to Islands where such jurisdictions have no effect.

Yeah, 'cuz that worked so well for Napster. Doesn't take too many examples among casual users for people to decide it simply isn't worth the risk.

HomeLAN said:
Yeah, 'cuz that worked so well for Napster. Doesn't take too many examples among casual users for people to decide it simply isn't worth the risk.

Isn't kazaa the one registered in whatever island?

Also, bittorrent is somewhat harder to track, since the server never releases a complete list of users, those who send bad data become banned, those who never send a thing rarely get to make a bigger list. So they will actually have to download the movie files (and break the same law which they are using to sue).

And I still say that the minute 2,000 users who've D/l'd an average of 20 movies get their asses sued off, the US market closes for these guys. Thye can still survive without US users, but not in the same form.

Back