so...the Olympics are on...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
anyone else care?

the Canadian woman are doing not too badly this year so far. Little bit of overkill in the hockey but pretty ok otherwise.

greenfreak

Watched the snowboarding half-pipe and some downhill skiing last night. It was ok. The winter olympics aren't as interesting to me as the summer. But I'll watch some figure skating if I happen to catch it.

Professur

I'll watch bobsled and luge, but mostly for the wipeouts. Used to watch the wimmen's figure skating, but I grew out of it, and anyways, they're too political now.

chcr

Too cute for words
SouthernN'Proud said:
It's better than Survivor v258.6
Exactly. Depends on what R. Lee Ermey is hollerin' about or what's on the food channel, but I've watched some luge and I like the biathalon.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I keep rooting for the underdogs and they don`t win, so I keep feeling bad for all of them. The 'pick to win' who had an accident and ended up underdog in the ski racing won though, that was pretty good.

Professur

then you must have loved when that frog took the downhill gold right out from under the austrian's nose.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
then you must have loved when that frog took the downhill gold right out from under the austrian's nose.
I *did* think that one was a little rude.

tonksy

I only care because I am a coke drinker and my fridge packs have these codes that you enter online that assign you an Olympic event and if the U.S. medals in that event you get $5 free coke. I like free, free is my favorite.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I always like watching this, seeing what countries are doing what, cause I definitely can`t catch it all.

Holy crap, GO NORWAY!!!

Starya

Leslie said:
anyone else care?

the Canadian woman are doing not too badly this year so far. Little bit of overkill in the hockey but pretty ok otherwise.
Yes! Go Norway!

So.. Does that mean we've won something? :lloyd:

And no. I don't care about the olympics. :swing:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Starya said:
Yes! Go Norway!

So.. Does that mean we've won something? :lloyd:

And no. I don't care about the olympics. :swing:

Norway has the most medals, 13 right now. 1 gold, 6 silver, 6 bronze.

unclehobart

I've been watching bits and pieces. A little downhill, a little skating, a little speed skating, lots of 'duuuude!' snowboarding. Its a bit boring. They need to spice it up with some lumberjack challenges or a dogsled race.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
mondomondo said:
Wow, you mean America is #1 at something besides arrogance?

:D :D :D

America has 9 medals...6 of them gold...so they don't have the most medals.

unclehobart

I always gave the medals a qualitative breakdown.

gold=3 points
silver=2 points
bronze=1 point

By my math:

US=23
Germany=25
Rooskies=23
Austria=14
Estonia=9
Sweden=9
Italy=9
France=8
Norway=21
Canada=13

and so on...

The official olympics site does alpha by most gold medals which puts the US on top. That seems to be an unfair system as it all but discounts the other medals except as a tie-breaker. A 'total medal' count is also unfair as it has no distinction between the value of a gold vs a bronze. I like my system best. My system puts Canada in 6th place instead of the current system which has them in 10th.