So you think wind power is the answer ...

jimpeel

http://www.reuters.com/article/dome...Type=RSS&feedName=domesticNews&rpc=22&sp=true

Loss of wind causes Texas power grid emergency
Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:11pm EST

HOUSTON (Reuters) - A drop in wind generation late on Tuesday, coupled with colder weather, triggered an electric emergency that caused the Texas grid operator to cut service to some large customers, the grid agency said on Wednesday.

Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) said a decline in wind energy production in west Texas occurred at the same time evening electric demand was building as colder temperatures moved into the state.

The grid operator went directly to the second stage of an emergency plan at 6:41 PM CST (0041 GMT), ERCOT said in a statement.

System operators curtailed power to interruptible customers to shave 1,100 megawatts of demand within 10 minutes, ERCOT said. Interruptible customers are generally large industrial customers who are paid to reduce power use when emergencies occur.

No other customers lost power during the emergency, ERCOT said. Interruptible customers were restored in about 90 minutes and the emergency was over in three hours.

ERCOT said the grid's frequency dropped suddenly when wind production fell from more than 1,700 megawatts, before the event, to 300 MW when the emergency was declared.

In addition, ERCOT said multiple power suppliers fell below the amount of power they were scheduled to produce on Tuesday. That, coupled with the loss of wind generated in West Texas, created problems moving power to the west from North Texas.

ERCOT declares a stage 1 emergency when power reserves fall below 2,300 MW. A stage 2 emergency is called when reserves fall below 1,750 MW.

At the time of the emergency, ERCOT demand increased from 31,200 MW to a peak of 35,612 MW, about half the total generating capacity in the region, according to the agency's Web site.

Texas produces the most wind power of any state and the number of wind farms is expected to increase dramatically as new transmission lines are built to transfer power from the western half of the state to more populated areas in the north.

Earlier on Tuesday, grid problems led to a blackout in Florida that cut power to about 1 million electric customers across that state for as much as four hours.

(Reporting by Eileen O'Grady; editing by Carol Bishopric)

© Reuters 2008 All rights reserved

IMO, solar is where it's at....and better and better batteries.

nuke is good too for home...

Geo would be good, but you can't predict it as far as the pressure.
I think there are some places where is pretty stable, like in Yellowstone,
and it should be explored more, but I don't think we'll have anything
that can hold back/control, if it starts to erupt.

very dangerous

well we are many years away from it, but you dig a DEEP pipe, you send down water, it gets heated up to steam, steam comes shooting back up and turns a turbine, clean energy...after the pipe is down at least.

some guy was also working on harnessing the powers of the tides to make hydro electric energy, without disturbing the ecology. If we can finally perfect broadcast energy, have solar collecters in high orbit, broadcasting energy. (if only Tesla lived longer)

Nuclear power is the only safe, clean & relaible solution.

At least the only currently viable one.

well we are many years away from it, but you dig a DEEP pipe, you send down water, it gets heated up to steam, steam comes shooting back up and turns a turbine, clean energy...after the pipe is down at least.

some guy was also working on harnessing the powers of the tides to make hydro electric energy, without disturbing the ecology. If we can finally perfect broadcast energy, have solar collecters in high orbit, broadcasting energy. (if only Tesla lived longer)

I do some side work for a company that has been drilling wells for geothermal heating and cooling for fifteen years. You may have seen them on an episode of Dirty Jobs a couple of years ago. I understand that building a home with geothermal assisted heating and cooling pays for the extra expense in less than three years. Unfortunately, retrofitting an existing home is not nearly as cost-effective. The folks I know do mostly large buildings though.

Cat, the magma pressure you're talking about isn't a factor in geothermal power generation. You don't have to get the water anywhere near the magma to get enough steam pressure to generate electricity. You watch too many sci-fi movies. ;)

The largest problem with GT is the matter that gets blown back up the pipe under pressure which damages the turbines. One big ass rock can ruin your whole day.

The largest problem with GT is the matter that gets blown back up the pipe under pressure which damages the turbines. One big ass rock can ruin your whole day.

filters and screens etc.

it;s not a today answer, but for the future.

:grinno: Can you say "heat exchanger?" I knew that you could.

You can read all about it at the link I provided in THIS POST.

Heat exchangers are great for shallow thermal wells but deep wells are still way in the future and are prone to damage from the media itself.

so, then, jim... what are the REAL ANSWERS to the energy questions of tomorrow?

Nuclear energy is the cleanest, most efficient, and cheapest form of energy for land based energy needs such as industry and civilian use. Oil still is the primary vehicle for transportation needs. You cannot run a country's transportation needs on electricity.

Mention nuclear energy and the great cry goes up "Three Mile Island and Chernobyl!!!!!" Three Mile Island was not that close to a meltdown. The safety components did not work as well as they should have and we learned from the exercise. France has been getting 70%+ of its power from nuclear for the past thirty years with not one problem.

Chernobyl was a type of reactor which was known to have serious flaws. The reactor was made of graphite.

chornobyl.gif

The explosion blew the environmental cap, or biological shield, off of the reactor and the graphite burned for days.

chernowreck2.gif

Chernobyl remains the only commercial reactor accident in which human life was lost due to radiation.

We need to start allowing exploration and ignore these enviro groups who hate everything that anyone would do to further the needs of this country.

Recently, a vast amount, in the tens of trillions of cubic feet, of natural gas reserves which span several states was discovered. Trying to get to those reserves, however, is nearly impossible as every enviro group with an ax to grind will file suit after suit to stop any attempt at getting to it.

Man made GW is a myth as 95% of all GW is natural. Take away the 5% and you still have the 95% left. No one has any idea what to do about that part of the equation but they will use the 5% as an excuse to stop any exploration for new energy sources.

Biomass has been shown to cause more pollution that oil, gas or coal fired energy sources. Ethanol can offset only a small percentage of foreign dependence and is now shown to cause more pollution than oil based products. To see a report by John Stossel on ethanol CLICK HERE. ANWR can supply our needs for many years to come but the enviro groups don't want anyone "disturbing" the area even though the indiginous Indian tribes there WANT oil exploration to proceed.

Wind turbines aren't the answer as the enviro groups have bneen successful in shuting them down due to the danger to birds.

Wave energy will disturb the fish so we can't go there.

So that leaves nuclear, oil, gas, and coal -- exactly what we have now.

You can read all about it at the link I provided in THIS POST.

:grinno: *sigh*
Conventional heat exchangers cannot be used for the separated water due to the high content of dissolved solids (TDS 1200 PPM) which would cause severe scaling of silica. A new type of heat exchanger, in the geothermal context, has been tested successfully in the pilot plant. These are the so-called "fluidized bed heat exchangers", or FBHX made by Eskla Heat exchangers BV in the Netherlands.
How the plant works.

Where'd that come from? Oh yeah, the link you provided. Imagine that.

You know. Every time I see this type of 'doom and gloom' post, I wonder why we even bother as a species. Wind power, for all its foibles, is still a viable source of power, regardless of what you posted. Maybe its not 100%, but, looking at Florida the past couple of days, nothing is. Supplement all you can, and stop decrying the 75% to 90% solution.

You know. Every time I see this type of 'doom and gloom' post, I wonder why we even bother as a species. Wind power, for all its foibles, is still a viable source of power, regardless of what you posted. Maybe its not 100%, but, looking at Florida the past couple of days, nothing is. Supplement all you can, and stop decrying the 75% to 90% solution.

You're right. The main problem is that, even at todays prices (and with all the whining about carbon footprints), fossil fuels are still far cheaper and until they're not, no one will spend the R&D cash it needs to make things like wind, solar or whatever really viable. For instance, why doesn't some enterprising energy conglomerate look into this? Too little return in the short term and we've forgotten how to think long term for some reason. :shrug:

:grinno: *sigh*

How the plant works.

Where'd that come from? Oh yeah, the link you provided. Imagine that.

Are you daft? Why do you think I sent you back to that link? It clearly shows -- and your quote from that site confirms it -- that what I said in THIS POST was correct. They are only useful, at this point in time, for SHALLOW wells.

The thermal heat is so near the surface that Iceland has been able to utilize the heat successfully. That is what I said in THIS POST

They have near surface volcanism which they tap into.

I get so damned tired of this "Neener, neener, your link contradicts you." crap when the link confirms what I have said all along. Try reading for comprehension, would ya? Holy shit!

The most successful use of geothermal has been in Iceland, Reykjavik being the best example. They have near surface volcanism which they tap into.

http://www.energy.rochester.edu/is/reyk/

The most successful use of geothermal has been in Iceland, Reykjavik being the best example. They have near surface volcanism which they tap into.

http://www.energy.rochester.edu/is/reyk/

Source for the first bit?

You're right. The main problem is that, even at todays prices (and with all the whining about carbon footprints), fossil fuels are still far cheaper and until they're not, no one will spend the R&D cash it needs to make things like wind, solar or whatever really viable. For instance, why doesn't some enterprising energy conglomerate look into this? Too little return in the short term and we've forgotten how to think long term for some reason. :shrug:

Not forgotten. Taught. Funny thing is...even though such thinking (wind and solar) is conservative in nature, it is always maligned as a 'hippie/liberal' ideal. Me paying less, or not at all, for my energy is something I look forward to with relish. Sure, I'll be hooked into the grid, but, on the flip side, the grid will also be hooked into me.

Back