Sound

Jeslek

Banned
First, with respect to computers. How exactly do you get Dolby Digital Ex? Suppose you have an Audigy 2 card or something. It supports Dolby Digital Ex. Is that all that is needed to play DVDs on your computer with DDE? Does the sound card do the sound? What about the output? Do you only need the six speakers + subwoofer or do you need a receiver or decoder of some sort?

Now, if I want to hook my dish receiver up to my computer, I can easily get the video in through my Radeon, but what about sound? The receiver has a digital out connector that is supposed to go to a sound decoder or something I think. How would I connect that up with the computer too?

Thanks...

It depends on the output and input connectors, if you use a digital connection it is most likely that the receiver will have to decode the sound as opposed when using analog (one cable for each channel).

In the case of analog the source comes already decoded, in your case that job would be done by the soundcard or the puter itself.

btw, i think dolby digital ex is not a norm per se, is just a variant of dolby digital with different algorithms for encoding but preserving the same data format.

For video, the receiver has S-video out, RF-out, and standard RCA video out. Since S-video can go up to 800x600, I would want a S-video in on my computer. Right now I have a Radeon 64 MB VIVO, but it is aging. On eBay, I can get a Radeon 7500 AIW for less than C$110. The AIW will take S-video in, has MPEG2 encoding, and can decode DVDs. So the video is set. Does that make sense?

For sound, the receiver has an SPDIF optical out and standard left and right RCA output. I can go about this two ways. I can connect the RCA left and right to the AIW card and connect the AIW's audio out to the Audigy 2's audio in. That will allow me to record TV shows from the satellite with sound.

For simple viewing though, I connect the SPDIF optical out on the satellite receiver to the SPDIF optical in to the Audigy 2's SPDIF optical in. The Audigy 2 will do the Dolby Digital decoding (also for the DVD), and output a 6.1 analog signal to my speakers (I don't have digital speakers or an external decoder yet). That will allow me to view TV with 6.1 sound (or 5.1, whatever), and also play DVDs with 5.1 or 6.1 sound.

Does that make sense? Even more puzzling is the fact that the Audigy2 drive has a remote control (for sound), the video card has a remote control (for the TV tuner which I wouldn't be using that much, but I will still hook up my cable TV so I can receive my free local channels [such as my town's TV station and the weather channel for local weather], so the remote can go to and from the satellite TV and the cable TV), and the dish receiver has a remote control. The receiver remote also allows you to pause live TV and rewind or fast forward it. Weeee.

I have a computer for computing. I have a TV for TV watching, with a VCR and DVD player attached for movies. I have a circa 1977 Stereo-only receiver with two speakers for music, with a tape deck, CD changer and turntable attached. The TV, stereo and computer are separate. It works for me.

I'd use the puter for everything if i could :D

Right now, it is "a puter", "a stereo", "a TV", "a radio" and a "movie player".

Only thing i'd wish is to have a bigger room and a nice 40" flat screen tv to connect the tv-out and watch movies properly :D

Jeslek said:
First, with respect to computers. How exactly do you get Dolby Digital Ex? Suppose you have an Audigy 2 card or something. It supports Dolby Digital Ex. Is that all that is needed to play DVDs on your computer with DDE? Does the sound card do the sound? What about the output? Do you only need the six speakers + subwoofer or do you need a receiver or decoder of some sort?

Dolby Digital EX is just DD 5.1 with a "virtual" centre rear channel that is matrixed into the rear surround channels. It's often called "DD6.1", which is incorrect.

You need a 7 channel soundcard, a DVD-ROM drive and software capable of decoding DDEX. Or the first two things w/an external processor (e.g an AV receiver) that can decode DDEX hooked up via digital out.

Of course, the source needs to be a DVD with a DDEX soundtrack.

MuFu.

P.S. In the case of the A2 and M-Audio Revo (maybe others...) you don't need DDEX-capable software because they support decoding through the driver layer.

Jeslek said:
Ya but I don't have that much money to buy all that...

Well, I don't have the money to buy all the stuff you're talking about, either. I got most of the stereo for free, and everything else I bought one piece at a time.

Back