Soundcard help!!!

IDLEchild

Allright....getting kinda serious about home recording and I will be needing a better soundcard (creative lab doesn't even support my current one anymore).

Got good recommendation? Something good for under $100 (above $100 isn't bad either but nothing above $150, kinda broke ya'll :( ). I'd look up at newegg, but given the conditions i've mentioned above, anything, you guys would recommend?

I would be hooking up a mixer or a 4 track recorder to it so I want to be a good performer.....

What cable do I need to hook up a boombox to my pc? I record to a cassette tape and want to go analog to digital....what cables do I need or do I need an audio interface?

$5 mic with its excessive noise pollution isn't cutting it anymore.

Thanks.

Nice, thanks AB. Seems to be getting good reviews (given the fact newegg doesn't allow negative reviews)

any other suggestions, any less pricey ones?....

Lessee,
1. The soundcard is not as important as the sofware and the mixer, IMO. I use Cakewalk Home Studio and a Turtle Beach soundcard. I also have a six channel stereo mixer. They make some pretty good usb mixers nowadays (all my stuff is old). I saw one recently that came with Cubase LE for around 150 bucks at musiciansfriend.com. You're not making professional recordings, and if you will be you're going to want something a lot more high end. Don't get me wrong, the m-audio is a good card, I'm just not sure it's the most important consideration.

2. If your boombox doesn't have line in, you're probably SOL there. You can use the mike input but the quality won't be great and you'll have a hard time finding a suitable cable. Why are you doing cassette instead of cd anyway?

chcr said:
Lessee,
They make some pretty good usb mixers nowadays (all my stuff is old). I saw one recently that came with Cubase LE for around 150 bucks at musiciansfriend.com. .

This one seems to have problem multi-tracking....is that important?

2. If your boombox doesn't have line in, you're probably SOL there. You can use the mike input but the quality won't be great and you'll have a hard time finding a suitable cable. Why are you doing cassette instead of cd anyway?

Because thats the only way I know how to record.....When it comes to home recording the more I learn, the more I get lost.

My ignorance goes into such far reaches that I don't even know exactly what a mixer does and if I need a audio interface with a mixer (the thing which I don't know why I really need :( )

I just want to know I want to record so I am looking into a mic, a mixer, a sound card because mine is quite old.

I multitrack in software. I don't really know that much about this particular mixer, but you just record digitally (well, analog in my case) to your hard disk, layer more tracks in software (Cubase should do this, even the LE version), mix it down, add effects and burn the final product to CD (as if it were a data file which in reality it is) or output it to tape. The mixer I use is a six channel unpowered mixer that I used to use in my guitar solo when I did one. I just use the stereo line out to the line in on my sound card. Not very high tech, but it works okay. I've learned mine by trial and error. I'm working on the capability to do the same stuff for free in Linux in my "copious free time." A good sound card is essential, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a really high end one.

Some mixer info

I really only use my mixer to control initial levels.

Back