Starboard!

Sharky

OK, this may be a bit too proprietary to appeal to everyone, but here we go. :D

For those who are wondering what is going on in this photo, these boats are in a race. One of the primary rules of sailboat racing (and sailboat navigation in general) is that a starboard tack has right of way over a port tack. Simple explanation of "starboard tack": when the wind is on the starboard (right-hand) side of the boat. More details and diagrams here.

The port tack boat is obligated to stay out of the way of the starboard tack boat.

In racing, this is a critical strategic factor. A starboard tack boat will NOT give way EVER, if they do, the skipper loses any advantage they may have and will be marked as weak. In normal navigation, the skipper would take any action necessary to avoid collision. But this is racing, and collisions happen.

In this photo, the blue boat, which is on a port tack, attempted to cross the bow of the grey boat, which is on a starboard tack. He didn't make it.

Anyway, this was already an interesting photo (OK, maybe only to us sailors), but somebody made it funny with a little modification. Normally, the guy on the bow would be shouting "STARBOARD!!!!!!" :D

(thanks to "Bobola" on the sailing BB, who added the punchline to the photo)

Not to mention "the bigger boat/vehicle always has the right of way " rule,the second boat looks considerably larger.

Sharky said:
Normally, the guy on the bow would be shouting "STARBOARD!!!!!!" :D

Actually, I would have thought more like "STARBOARD, you stupid fuck!"

Or something along those lines.

A.B.Normal said:
Not to mention "the bigger boat/vehicle always has the right of way " rule,the second boat looks considerably larger.

Hell yea.

A.B.Normal said:

Technically, the size of the vessel doesn't figure in until you reach the point where maneuverability is a factor, but essentially, that is quite correct.

When it gets down to the nitty-gritty, a prudent mariner will always allow right-of-way to a vessel of greater tonnage - if they wish to survive. :D

chcr said:
Actually, I would have thought more like "STARBOARD, you stupid fuck!"

Or something along those lines.

Most likely something involving comments about the helmsman/tactician's heritage, intelligence (or lack thereof), odor, and appearance. :lol2:

Sharky said:
Most likely something involving comments about the helmsman/tactician's heritage, intelligence (or lack thereof), odor, and appearance. :lol2:

Something like "you stupid french f@ck ,can't even get outta the way properly"

Sharky said:
ah! now that's the navy i remember :D

I like how the guy on the lower boat is still just sitting there. I think I would have moved.

Back