State of the (cinematic) Arts

JTP

What my friend Mark said:

"This is too bad-why'd they have to cast Tom Cruise in the role of Stauffenburg?
A well respected English actor (perhaps Jude Law?) would have been much more believable, as well as the fact that I like his acting, and I don't like Cruise-every time I see him in anything, I think of the South Park episode about Scientology, and agree-the whole world is Tom Cruise's closet!
I will still watch this movie, I'll just wait for it to come out on DVD, and mainly watch it so that I can pick it apart for it's historical inaccuracies, as well as cheer when the Nazi's finally shoot Tom down!
Otherwise, none of the holiday movies appeal to me....a word of warning, if you haven't already heard, run screaming into the night as fast as you can to stay away from the remake of "The Day the Earth Stood Still"-CGI aplenty, but otherwise bad acting, too much Keanu Reeves, and changing the threat from nuclear to environmental destruction...why can't HollyWeird just leave some movies alone? The origanal TDTESS is a classic, no need to be updated or improved with some fancy CGI effects-let it live on in peace!
What's next, will Hollywood take shots at some of my other favorite movies? I've heard rumors that they are looking in to a remake of "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"! Why? Hasn't the original stood the test of time?
I have an idea, how about a remake of "Kelly's Heroes", with Tom Cruise as Kelly, Ben Affleck as Oddball, Vin Deisel as Big Joe (just cuz he's bald!), Matt Damen as the German Tank Commander, a cameo with Clint Eastwood playing Carroll O'Conner's General, Jeff Foxworthy and Larry the Cable Guy playing Cowboy and Private Willard, with special guest star Tim Allen as Crapgame???-look, I just cast the movie for them! The story has already been written, the movie practically makes it's self, all I need is the funding and I'm In like Flynt (another remake they're talking about)!
Fuck them! Just stay away from the box office, vote with your $$$ and perhaps sooner or later this stupidity will stop! Or perhaps not, as the continual success of these blatent, mindless ripoff's of movie production only prove to me that the majority of the moviegoing public has the mentality of a shrub and they deserve what they are getting-what was the name of the top grossing movie in "Idiocracy"- "ASS"? That is where we are headed if this trend in remakes continues....
Soapbox Egress,
Mark

:lol2:

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
There are plenty of movies from all around the world. Hollyweird is not the only source ;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Not many quality films though. Maybe some great stories but for cinematic features, Hollyweird is the only viable option.

JTP

I, for one, like "foreign" films. Reading subtitles don't bother me atall.
You pick up on languages that way.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Not many quality films though. Maybe some great stories but for cinematic features, Hollyweird is the only viable option.

I disagree, but then again, it all depends on your personal definition of quality and taste.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I disagree, but then again, it all depends on your personal definition of quality and taste.

You can't beat Hollywood production work. Cinematography, sets, camera work. Unparalleled. Again, I've not seen 5 movies, in theatre, in the last 2 years. Bad scripts or remakes is the norm now.

Matrix & Lord of the Rings was the last time I felt I spent my money wisely.