Stem Cell cure for HIV

MrBishop

Prepare to pull out your dictionary, human bio books and hit google, but what we have here is a strong indicator that stem-cell therapy has found a cure for HIV

Abstract

HIV entry into CD4+ cells requires interaction with a cellular receptor, generally either CCR5 or CXCR4. We have previously reported the case of an HIV-infected patient in whom viral replication remained absent despite discontinuation of antiretroviral therapy after transplantation with CCR532/32 stem cells. However, it was expected that the long-lived viral reservoir would lead to HIV rebound and disease progression during the process of immune reconstitution. In the present study, we demonstrate successful reconstitution of CD4+ T cells at the systemic level as well as in the gut mucosal immune system following CCR532/32 stem cell transplantation, while the patient remains without any sign of HIV infection. This was observed although recovered CD4+ T cells contain a high proportion of activated memory CD4+ T cells, i.e. the preferential targets of HIV, and are susceptible to productive infection with CXCR4-tropic HIV. Furthermore, during the process of immune reconstitution, we found evidence for the replacement of long-lived host tissue cells with donor-derived cells indicating that the size of the viral reservoir has been reduced over time. In conclusion, our results strongly suggest that cure of HIV has been achieved in this patient.
http://bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org/cgi/content/abstract/blood-2010-09-309591v1

Winky

A cure for HIV has already been found

don't swap body fluids with HIV positive people

Winky

My Wife has been treating AIDS patients as part of her
schooling in Acupuncture, she sez the wily little beast
no longer kills its host, it knows that it can't kill em cuz it
dies too. Those CIA bio-weapons guys were sure smart.

Winky

The sun beams down on a brand new day
No more welfare tax to pay
Unsightly slums gone up in flashing light
Jobless millions whisked away
At last we have more room to play
All systems go to kill the poor tonite

Gonna
Kill kill kill
Kill the poor
Kill the poor ...
Tonite

jimpeel

cool.

babies: -1, fags +1.

i find children far more irritating than fags.

AAAAAAAAAA. Wrong answer, but thank you for playing.

SOURCE

The patient's doctor, Gero Hütter, MD, had an idea. Since HIV hides in white blood cells, why not try to cure the patient of leukemia and HIV at the same time? Instead of a normal donor, Huetter looked for a donor who carried the relatively rare mutation called CCR5delta32.

People with this mutation lack functional CCR5, the keyhole that HIV most often uses to enter cells. People who inherit two copies of this gene are highly resistant to HIV infection. So Hütter found a stem-cell donor who carried this mutation and used the cells to repopulate his patient's immune system.

Those would be ADULT stem cells, not a FETAL stem cells.

Zaia's team is exploring the use of taking a patient's own cells and genetically engineering them to fight HIV. The first studies are being done on patients with HIV lymphoma, who already require chemotherapy. Four patients already have been treated with low doses of genetically modified cells -- and the good news is that the modified cells can survive and expand for at least two years.

Those would be ADULT stem cells, not a FETAL stem cells.

2minkey

bootlicker
funny how you want to discuss technicalities only when it makes you the winner.

i guess this deflates prof's valiant moral stand as well.

anyway, babies still suck, and the gays ain't after 'em.

i wonder if ted haggard is weeping right now?

jimpeel

Do you have any in mind that would make me the loser? I would be happy to be the "butt" of your efforts on that behalf.

Winky

Of course babies suck
otherwise they'd starve to death

and gays are worthless and should all be killed

Professur

How does it deflate anything to do with me? I've never been against stem cell work. I've been against harvesting them from abortions. For that matter, the gov't isn't against it either ... they just decided to not fund it with public monies. If you're going to include me in your bait sessions, at least have the grace to pay attention to what I post ...m'kay?

Winky

Embryonic stem cells cure HIV

It's plain silly not to use the stuff
they scrape out of womans' uterus's
isn't it just gonna go in the bin otherwise?