STUPID BEETLES

Holy crap that's a lot of beetles!! I heard that even though they work, they actually attract more beetles than would normally visit your yard. I hope that fence is far away from your door. :)

Ugh that's gross. I had one stuck to my shirt while I was taking a walk tonight. I love flicking them off with my fingernails, they go flying.

Those pictures are making me itch.

Spot said:
do they have those for mosquitos?

hmmmm, might work if you sprayed a little blood in the bag :laugh5:

GF, I have been told that as well, that the bags attract more beetles than would normally visit your yard anyway. I've also been told spraying is futile cause your only killing the bugs on your trees. If noone else in your neighborhood sprays, you'll get infested again next year anyway. But considering the damage they did to my trees last year, I wanted to give it a try. My neighbors on either side of me have quite a few crape myrtles and these beetles love crape myrtles and pin oaks. Look at it this way, the ones I'm trapping aren't mating and dropping eggs in the ground, hopefully resulting in fewer beetles hatching next year. I did spray my trees a little this year as well but the pin oaks will inevitably get too large to bother spraying.

btw - The guy where I buy my fertilizer (Lesco) told me that water with a little dish soap sprayed on your yard will kill the grubs or you can get some slow release pellets. These beetle grubs feed on your grass roots prior to hatching and can do as much damage to your lawn as they do to your trees. I'll probably start treating the lawn this fall.

I never noticed them eating up the trees. I don't have any trees in my yard, I just have to worry about my coleus.

I'm always amazed at the home remedies you can use for lawn and garden instead of chemicals. Plain ol' dishsoap can do so much for a lawn and plants. Same for beer and rubbing alcohol.

I just asked that question from my gardening buddies and got this answer:

I fill a bottle that I think holds 16 oz. with tap water and usually have some suds coming out the top from the last batch, then I add a squirt of dishwashing liquid. See how carefully I measure? I then put the top on, shake it up, and spray away. For some things I'll add a capful of rubbing alcohol. This stuff also cleans up dirty spots from spills when I'm working with my plants indoors really well too. I've seen no adverse effects from using it as frequently as needed. When I was treating a ficus for scale I think I sprayed every day for over a week with the soap and alcohol. At that point I did try to keep the soap from getting into the soil.

thats good to know. thanks GF.
i'm not too bright some times. i'd be out there with a whole bottle of Dawn squirting it on the plants....

Back