stupid chick question

tonksy

okay...so, somewhere between tom cochrane's "life is a highway" and iggy pop's "real wild child" my puter speakers started making that "strobe" sound effect...so it's not long now...i have some swell speakers from my broken cd player but they have the wires...is there some kind of adapter?

tonks said:
okay...so, somewhere between tom cochrane's "life is a highway" and iggy pop's "real wild child" my puter speakers started making that "strobe" sound effect...so it's not long now...i have some swell speakers from my broken cd player but they have the wires...is there some kind of adapter?

Do they have a plug at the end of the wire?

Not an adapter then. You could put phono plugs on them and buy an adapter for that, that's the way I'd do it. Or you could wire them all into one RCA strereo plug that would plug into your PC. Caution, geeky soldering and stuff involved.

chcr said:
Not an adapter then. You could put phono plugs on them and buy an adapter for that, that's the way I'd do it. Or you could wire them all into one RCA strereo plug that would plug into your PC. Caution, geeky soldering and stuff invoved.
what are phono plugs? how much are they and an adaptger? would it be more cost effective to buy new speakers? i have neither the knowledge nor the vision to solder anything...will jb weld work? :p

will jb weld work?
'Fraid not. You can get a decent set of speakers for under 20 bucks. Phone plugs adapter solder and a soldering iron probably costs as much.

P.S. I'd do it for fun, but I already have everything but the adapter.

chcr said:
'Fraid not. You can get a decent set of speakers for under 20 bucks. Phone plugs adapter solder and a soldering iron probably costs as much.

P.S. I'd do it for fun, but I already have everything but the adapter.
the jb weld was a joke, chic.... :swing:

thanks.

damn...one more thing...

tonks said:
the jb weld was a joke, chic.... :swing:

thanks.

damn...one more thing...
They make a solder paste that you can squeeze into place then heat. Lots of people confuse J.B. Weld with that. I wasn't assuming you were "just a dumb old girl" or anything. :)

http://www.acortech.com/.sc/ms/dd/1054842435921685/9/nc/Speaker%2520%5E2F%2520HeadPhones--Generic/1128/SS-4516%25203%2520Piece%2520Subwoofer%2520System%2520580W%2520PMPO%2520Power

Here's what I put on Mom's system. An audiophile would probably scoff, but they aren't bad. 12 bucks or so including shipping.

chcr said:
They make a solder paste that you can squeeze into place then heat. Lots of people confuse J.B. Weld with that. I wasn't assuming you were "just a dumb old girl" or anything. :)
:swing:

chcr said:
they're adorable, is what they are....sound ok loud?

tonks said:
they're adorable, is what they are....sound ok loud?
Pretty good. My system is hooked throuth an 80 watt RMS Mitsubishi power amp and reference studio speakers, so I am not that good a judge. They don't distort though, and she's practically deaf.

tonks said:
hey...you have heard music on these....right?

Yes :p, mostly Jimmy Buffet, my older sisters a parrot-head and she gives mom a copy of all the cd's.

You could cut the wires to your computer speakers and wire the "new" speakers into the place of the ones you cut off, re-using the plugs but replacing everything else. But if the old speakers are powered, then you're probably SOL.

chcr said:
Yes :p, mostly Jimmy Buffet, my older sisters a parrot-head and she gives mom a copy of all the cd's.
well....not much bass in buffet songs...but i think they may do!

inky...i don't understand a thing you said....

tonks said:
inky...i don't understand a thing you said....
Eh....I wouldn't recommend it anyway. Might get lucky and everything might work but if the impedance is different, disaster may ensue. You'd be in the market for both new speakers and a sound card. ;)

Its cheaper to check out new speakers. You like it loud? Maybe see what 2.1 systems are out that interest you. A little more expensive, but good music deserves good quality, right? ;)

Can't go wrong with Logitech

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/productlist&ad=hmf&crid=18&countryid=19&languageid=1

2155.jpg

2.0 configuration • 5 watts

A stylish two-speaker set that looks as great as it sounds. It's the perfect companion for your PC, CD, and MP3 players.

USD 29.95

2849.jpg

2.1 configuration

Add punch to your music and games with the versatile, stylish X-220 speaker system. Connect it to your PC, music player, or video game console and enjoy the full, rich sound as it was meant to be heard.
USD 49.95

Those prices are off the Logitech site ,from experience brick and mortar stores are cheaper and since its after Christmas may find a clearance sale :D

Now that you mention it mines an Altec Lansing too, ACS54 (5 piece,well actually 4,the rabbit chewed one of the wires and I never got around to repairing it) :crying4:

Back