Stupid Questions....

Aunty Em

Ok, what does 40 gb transfer mean and please explain bandwidth in relation to websites/server.

Also domains as I can never understand all the gumph put out about them. i.e. I don't have the patience to sit through page after page of techno speak...

40gb transfer...

like, each image takes up a few kilobytes, and the text takes up a few more, and every time you load a page it's got to send those pictures and text to you... make it 150-odd kilobytes for every page you look at.

40 gigabytes is the maximum amount of data that can be sent from the server to all the people who are looking at the pages.

bandwidth is how fast that data can get transferred. it's the same for servers as it is for your modem. some servers have bandwidth set at a maximum rate, like a maximum of 12 kb/s, others just say there's a maximum amount that can be transferred (like this 40gb), and it can go out as fast as possible until you get to that limit.

domains... anything a tad more specific you want to know?

I thought that's probably what transfer and bandwidth were but I wanted to make sure I'd got it right.

Basically what I know about domains is that you buy a name for a certain period of time, but beyond that I'm clueless. I don't understand about hosting, redirection etc...

okay... so yeah, you buy a domain. www.godaddy.com seems to be the company du jour for getting .coms, although my personal fave is www.obantec.net, because the chappie there is very nice and has done Good Things for me.

anyway, yeah, you buy the domain. quite often the people you're going to host with will sort that out for you and if you don't knwo much about it then that's probably a good thing although it may cost a bit more than going to a company that just does registrations.

a hosting company will sell you a chunk of disk space and give you some details about how to upload files onto thier server... if you've bought the domain name off them too then they'll sort out pointing it to the right place.

you put the files up, and they serve them out.

redirection is quite simple - the same sort of idea. say i've got some ISP webspace that anyone can look at - say www.myisp.com/users/d/da/dan/index.html, well you can see that's pretty pants for a business. the cheapo thing to do is get a "redirect" from a domain selling place. they'll make it so any browsers looking for www.dan.com actually go look at the myisp.com site instead.

that's the executive summary anyway... more details available on request :)

Back