superstitions

Greek Superstitions: Salt is be used to get rid of an unwanted human presence. If you have an unwanted guest in your home and you want them to leave. All you have to do is sprinkle salt behind them. The powers of the salt will chase him out.

*notes and buys salt*

If the palm of your right hand is itchy, then it foretells that money is coming to you, but don’t scratch it as that stops the money from coming! If it’s your left palm that is itchy, then scratch away, as that means that you'll soon be paying out money

damn..i've been doing it backwards all this time...

Rose said:
Greek Superstitions: Salt is be used to get rid of an unwanted human presence. If you have an unwanted guest in your home and you want them to leave. All you have to do is sprinkle salt behind them. The powers of the salt will chase him out.

*notes and buys salt*

A lot of folks here have the habit of throwing a little salt over their left shoulder while cooking.........I wonder if the Greek superstition is it's origin.

Intrestin' site Spot :)

A friend passing by my desk at work noticed that I kept my bag on the floor. She told me that I shouldn't keep it on the ground, because it would invite bad luck in money matters.

Superstitious or not, I keep my purse in the shelf over my head now :D

Sailor's superstitions:

Never bring a black bag aboard a ship (the undertaker carries a black bag).

Never bring flowers aboard a ship (flowers are for funerals).

Bananas aboard a boat cause rough seas.

Saying the word "alligator" onboard is unlucky.

Whistling onboard will cause rough seas (you will "whistle up" the wind), if you are caught whistling onboard you must throw a quarter overboard (to "buy back" calm seas).

Always step onboard a boat right foot first.

Never leave port on a Friday.

Squiggy said:
:confuse3: i thought itchy palms meant you didn't clean up well afterwards... :faptard:

no your mistaking it with when your wang itches. its red palms that say you didnt clean up well

It's not superstition when you know it's true.

My daughter gave my mother a 2 pence piece last week. She'd found it on her bedroom floor. Big deal, right? Well, it was dated the same year as my parents marriage. Her bedroom was their bedroom, before he died. And we live in CANADA!!!

Mum didn't take it well. I've kinda gotten used to it over the years.

Professur said:
It's not superstition when you know it's true.

My daughter gave my mother a 2 pence piece last week. She'd found it on her bedroom floor. Big deal, right? Well, it was dated the same year as my parents marriage. Her bedroom was their bedroom, before he died. And we live in CANADA!!!

Mum didn't take it well. I've kinda gotten used to it over the years.

I'm not understanding what this living in Canada has to do with it?

AlphaTroll said:
I'm not understanding what this living in Canada has to do with it?
A pence isn't Canadian money ,so finding a pence"in Canada" that has the same date as their marriage is beyond chance.

Pennies From Heaven

I found a penny today,
just laying on the ground.
But it is not just a penny,
this little coin I found.

Found pennies come from heaven,
thats what my Grandpa told me.
He said Angels toss then down,
oh how I loved that story.

He said when an Angel misses you,
they toss a penny down.
Sometimes just to cheer you up,
make a smile out of your frown.

So don't pass by that penny
when you're feeling blue.
It may be a penny from heaven,
that an Angel's tossed to you.

Author Unknown

A.B.Normal said:
A pence isn't Canadian money ,so finding a pence"in Canada" that has the same date as their marriage is beyond chance.

Random rambling...pence is pronounced the same as the Afrikaans word pens....which means stomach.....which gives a new meaning alltogether to finding a pence on your floor innit?

Back