Surge protector check

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Friday August 1, 2003, downtown Chicago Illinois, Sears Tower, bad day

I think I heard somewhere that lightning strikes on the Sears Tower and the like are pretty commonplace though,

Most likely true but it's not everyday that it's caught on film

freakin awesome.

We had a lightning strike four houses away two nights ago. It woke us up it was so damn loud, it's quite an experience to wake up to your heart beating a mile a minute! All the car alarms were going off for the next 10 minutes and I looked out the window and all the street lamps were out. They all have light sensors and the lightning must have been so bright that they shut themselves off. When we went out the next day, there was a huge branch from a tree that had fallen to the ground. They were already chipping it so I didn't get a good look. :shrug:

PuterTutor said:
I think I heard somewhere that lightning strikes on the Sears Tower and the like are pretty commonplace though,

consider the height. and i think there is metal up on top of those buildings.

greenfreak said:
freakin awesome.

We had a lightning strike four houses away two nights ago. It woke us up it was so damn loud, it's quite an experience to wake up to your heart beating a mile a minute! All the car alarms were going off for the next 10 minutes and I looked out the window and all the street lamps were out. They all have light sensors and the lightning must have been so bright that they shut themselves off. When we went out the next day, there was a huge branch from a tree that had fallen to the ground. They were already chipping it so I didn't get a good look. :shrug:

Kinda gives a whole new meaning to who's in charge doesn't it? (pun not intentional)

when i was a kid, lightning struck in our backyard while we were sitting on the porch. i was about 6 at the time. i couldn't have been more than 10-15 feet away when it hit. wouldn't step on the spot it hit for months as i was afraid i would get electrocuted if i did step on it. i remember it looked like a cartoon drawing of a lightning bolt.
oddly enought, i've been fascinated with lightning since.

I kind of enyoy those lightning strikes where you hear the zzzt immediately followed by the bang. Lightning gets one of our trees with alarming frequency.

My grandparents used to live in Richardson, TX (immediately north of Dallas) and in the early 90s the houses started having their shake roofs replaced with asphalt shingles, because lightning had a tendency to strike the metal at the top of the chimneys and catch the shake roofs on fire.

Back