Tattoos & weight

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
This is not a thread for those who wish to slam the idea of tattoos. You can start your own thread for that. Thanks.

I want another tattoo. I am thinking either on my lower back, the top of my right butt cheek or one to cover the old one on my right shoulder that will extend down to form an armband on my right arm.

Here's my question: I am overweight. Not obese, just not without....hmm... shape :D - Unc, you saw me in person, so maybe you can help me here, too. (NO!! We never got naked, so get your heads out of the gutter!!)
I walk everyday for about 1/2 hour and slowly but surely the excess will come off. But I am sorta impatient and want my tattoo now.

However, in the interest of good art - I MIGHT have to wait. If I were to get something now, and I lose some weight, would the tattoos look really bad?

Anyone know or have experience with this?

Take the pic that you want tatooed, and draw in on a balloon. Then let some of the air out. Still happy with it? Go ahead.

Maybe it would be like shrinky dinks! :D

I would think it would look better, not worse as long as the skin is still taut. Or tauter (is that a word?) than before.

Having lost a lot of weight and having a tattoo I can say that they they should only shrink a bit if you place them directly on an area where the skin warped from the original weight gain. So long as you keep the tat shaded more towards the center of your back where the skin doesn't react to size variables, you should be aok.

i have a tattoo on my tummy. i have had 3 children with this tattoo...it is just as discernable (is that spelled wrong?) as it was the day i got it...even if it does have a back drop of pink stretch maks :eh:

My hubby has a tattoo on the back of his left shoulder that he got while extremely skinny. He has since gained 10 pants size & is slowly losing those 10 pants size. His tattoo still looks great :D

unless your weight fluctuates often then you don't have too much to worry about by way of the image changing. one concern i would have is placement. i have seen a tattoo that origionally placed on the small of a lady's back wind up on the center of her back when she reached her target weight. placement would be your only issue with a good image. i would reccomend talking to the artist you plan on having do the tattoo. any tattooist who knows their art well would be able to give you a more concise answer to the question you are asking.

Don't get anything too big or complex. Then if it needs to be removed it won't look unsightly.

I'm having one removed from around my wrist at the moment. The army deems it unacceptable for its future officers to have tats around their wrists.

Doesn't look to bad and I'm pretty fair so scars don't show up.

I would say the middle of your back or your arm. None of my tats are in places where weight gain or loss will really effect them. Although the one on my foot has a bit of strech in it from the accident and my foot was swelling so bad that it started to split open.

Back