Taxachusetts

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Watch as employers decide to lower wages or leave the great Kennedy compound.

BOSTON - Lawmakers overwhelmingly approved a bill Tuesday that would make Massachusetts the first state to require that all its citizens have some form of health insurance.

The plan — approved just 24 hours after the final details were released — would use a combination of financial incentives and penalties to dramatically expand access to health care over the next three years and extend coverage to the state's estimated 500,000 uninsured.

AP

no no no no no....you've got it all wrong.

One goal of the bill is to protect $385 million pledged by the federal government over each of the next two years if the state can show it is on a path to reducing its number of uninsured.

Beacon Hill was running out of ways to pay for more no-show government hack jobs. now they are all set for another decade or so.

i watch the local news every morning and i dont remember hearing one thing about this new bill.

The measure does not call for new taxes but would require businesses that do not offer insurance to pay a $295 annual fee per employee

that is a lot cheaper than offering health insurance. hell, i'll let the hospital cancel the insurance and i'll split the tab with them. it'll save me about $1k per year.

$295 a year?! Where do I sign up? I'm paying over $250 PER MONTH for family coverage, and my employer eats 3 times that.

Gov. Mitt Romney supports the proposal, which would require all uninsured adults in the state to purchase some kind of insurance policy by July 1, 2007, or face a fine. Their choices would be expanded to include a range of new and inexpensive policies – ranging from about $250 a month to nearly free – from private insurers subsidized by the state.

All residents will have to provide details about their health insurance policy on their state income-tax returns in 2008.

Those who do not have insurance would first lose their personal state-tax exemption, perhaps worth $150, and later face penalties.

Source

New tax...paid for by the employee & the employer & the burden will be shifted to employers more & more.

File this one under UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES

Nope. The burden will end up where it always does - on the taxpayer. Face it, companies don't really eat these costs. Like any other cost, it's passed n to the consumer in the form of higher prices for goods and services.

All of us bear that burden to some extent under the current system. Under this proposal, the bottom 20% of Americans, since they effectively pay no taxes, get a free ride, and those of us who actually have a tax burden get to eat all of it.

Income redistribution, pure and simple.

Back