Tech question... cpus

Aunty Em

Is it possible to put a slightly faster cpu on a board and underclock it so that it works?

e.g. can I put a celeron 1.2 (100) on a board that takes a 1 ghz (100) and expect it to work?

This board also takes a pIII up to 1.53 ghz.

See if theres a BIOS update, since you can't unlock a celeron your best hope is that it'll see the 12x multiplier, since it does have a 11.5x for the 1.53 PIII i'd guess it does, so it'll likely run the 1200 celeron without problem. Btw since the Celeron 1.2 is likely a Tualatin, is the board fcpga2 compliant?

No it's fcpga1 I think (it doesn't say anything about fcpga2 in the manual) and I flashed it with the highest bios upgrade already the other day. :(

It's the A-Bit SE6 Rev.1.0 and was originally took a P3 500 - 1 ghz or a celeron 300A - 733mhz... it's now supposed to take a p3 up to 1.53 ghz and a celeron to 1 ghz.

It also supports fsb 66/100/133.

I can't find a p3 around that sort of speed at the moment and celeron are also thin on the ground.

The only PIII that board would officaly support up to would be coppermine, which stopped at 1Ghz, (1.13GHz was recalled due to overclocking on Intels part :D) you can probably get an FCPGA2 adapter, but i am not sure on this as i hardly deal with PIIIs anymore. The highest grade PIII is the Tualatin 1.4Ghz AFAIK and thats FCPGA2 .

no, this is definate... I'm just finding out how long they will take to get here cos I'm off on holiday for a few days next tuesday...

Got any link up on T Bird cpus? mate of mine needs one cause his shit board don't go over 1Ghz and crashes with anything more..even a 1.1 and i'm fresh out of those chips..

Back