telephone installation problem

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
So I signed up for adsl, but my room has no telephone installation. I went to the roof and the telephone wire is now under some paint and dust.

Once that wire enters the house, it connects to another type of wire (or cable perhaps).

The question, what specs should those 2 types of wire/cable have?, should I just "join" them or should I buy some sort of splitter?

Actually I was more concerned about the type of cable needed, not for the colours.

1 pair line here, I can go by without colours :lol:

Shit man, you've got me. Never had DSL. As a matter of fact, as of 10 minutes ago, I just ordered voice over IP.

Use solid copper wire if you can, twisting them together should be fine, but if it's twisted pair inside the wire, be careful not to bare too much wire, the wires actually work with each other to reduce interference. Just bare enough to twist them together, tape it real good, and you should be fine.

Question though, here in the US the phone lines have four wires. Two are used for the phone while the other pair is used for either an extra phone line, or DSL. This is how we have DSL in our house without having a second phone line ran, and can still use the phone while on the internet. How is that going to work there?

You are confusing ISDN with DSL. ISDN uses 2 pairs and operates within the voice channel while DSL uses a different channel to transfer data (thus only one pair is needed).

This of course, doesn't mean that you can't use the 2nd pair for DSL.

Now to the original question, what AWG should I use? The wire on the roof looks like 0.8mm but the one within the house (before the connector) is thiner. :confuse3:

Just as a side note, the RJ11 cables do have 2 pairs, but 1 pair is unused here. It only works if you hire ISDN.

24 awg solid copper is what you need..

P.S. the other pair of wires that arent used are usually to install a seconed telephone line

Actually, while the second pair can be used for all sorts of things, it's initial purpose is to backup the first pair in case of a bad wire. Double the cost of copper is still a helluva lot cheaper than a new cable run.

DSL uses the same pair as your voice. It runs somewhere around 80 kHz, where your voice travels between 300-3000 Hz. ISDN needs 2 pair to work. RJ-11 jacks support 3 pair. 80% of the time the cable only contains 2 pair. In any new installation it's recomended to use CAT5 or higher for voice.

rrfield said:
DSL uses the same pair as your voice. It runs somewhere around 80 kHz, where your voice travels between 300-3000 Hz. ISDN needs 2 pair to work. RJ-11 jacks support 3 pair. 80% of the time the cable only contains 2 pair. In any new installation it's recomended to use CAT5 or higher for voice.

Interesting. I was under the asumption that if one were to install DSL it had to use the second pair.

There are a lot of flavors of DSL, I should have said most versions of ADSL use the same pair. If you are using DSL at home, 99% of the time it's running over the same pair.

VDSL, SDSL, HDSL, SHDSL, yadda yadda yadda can either share a pair or use a seperate pair, depending on the vendors equipment at the CO.

There's a version called iDSL that I've run into that uses two pair, but after furter investigation it turns out iDSL is ISDN with a simplified ISDN modem for the CPE.

Gonz said:
Interesting. I was under the asumption that if one were to install DSL it had to use the second pair.

Simple version. If you have to put those line filters (the little dangly things) on all your phones, it's single line.

Professur said:
Simple version. If you have to put those line filters (the little dangly things) on all your phones, it's single line.

That used to be true. There's a version now called g.lite ADSL that gets rid of the filters, but the speed is limited to 1.5/512.

Back