Termites (aka lil' house eatin' sumbitches)

unclehobart

Today was supposed to be the repair day for my termite damage... one guy... one days worth of work... a little wood, a little sheetrock, a little paint... no big deal. No big deal until he starts getting into it and pulling back plates, trim, and drywall ...ugh. Its bigger than thought possible. They've gutted studs and 2 window casings and an entire doorframe. We also discovered a spot where water was getting in.

At least I am under a termite repair bond... so 80% of this is going to be a freebie. Its just a matter of setting aside a full 4 days to bring in a full 3 man crew and proper equipment. My poor living room is about to become a warzone.

unclehobart

Photo #1 is under the large bay window in my living room. Studs, drywall, casing trim ... toast.
Photo #2 is the rt side of the deck entry doors. The tunnels ran up as high we could reach to cut ... yay.
Photo #3 is the base of that rt side... studs ... wasted... big time... major surgery.
Photo #4 overall shot to show the full doors. The cut on the left side was exposing water damage. Fixing that will be on my dime, but shouldn't be too bad since the door will already be ripped out. The entire inner doorframe and subcasings are going to be replaced with the modern hard vynil faux 2x4's that are invulnerable to weather and bugs. 2 of those beams will be on my dime.
Photo #5 is the casing under the breakfast nook right around the corner. Its apparently ancient damage and ahould have been spotted by any number of the home inspectors that passed through over the years. 2 of the builders said something to effect of: 'They should have been shot for missing that one'. Another yvnil beam here on my dime as well.

unclehobart

tonks said:
what a nightmare! i'm so sorry...they did all that damage since the last inspection?
No. Everyone is of the opinion that it all looks really old. It all got by and endless parade of home and termite inspectors. I was the one to discover the initial damage when it became rather apparent even to my layman eyes that something was amiss.

tonksy

unclehobart said:
No. Everyone is of the opinion that it all looks really old. It all got by and endless parade of home and termite inspectors. I was the one to discover the initial damage when it became rather apparent even to my layman eyes that something was amiss.
well...if the same company repeatedly missed the termites, why should you have to pay for any of it? :confused:

unclehobart

Because this particular spot on the left side of the doorframe is straight up water damage that has nothing to do with termites. Fixing this part, as well as upgrading to a proper yvnil doorcasing goes beyond the scope of the repair and will be on my dime. Sheer supplies will only cost about 40$. The labor is what will jack it up... but seeing as they will already be doing the other stuff and have the whole area gutted and exposed, it won't take more than 20 minutes. It shouldn't be more than a 200$ addon. I'm willing to pay that.

unclehobart

The shop and work crews have to coordinate that and give me a call later today to tell me when they can get all of their ducks in a row and do it. I would suspect tuesday-thursday inclusive.

alex

OUCH :eek: Good choice goin with vinyl replacement though. Or is it vinyl or composite?

I'm scared to death of termites. I declined to carry the termite bond when I bought my house. I need to get one.

I feel ya pain. You wouldn't believe what I'm goin thru with those 3 windows I had replaced a few months ago. Totally incompetant idiots. I really like the windows, but they screwed up the installation. And I found out last week I gotta replace my whole A/C system.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Wow. That's some major work. That house is less than 20 years old, right? Guess those Hotlanta summers don't help though, huh?

alex

Probably a mix. That's what I had done to those 3 windows. The window unit itself is vinyl and the wood sill and wood frame moulding were replaced with composite material.

unclehobart

PuterTutor said:
Wow. That's some major work. That house is less than 20 years old, right? Guess those Hotlanta summers don't help though, huh?
House is 15. All of GA is bad for termites ... not like southern Alabama and pretty much all of Louisiana... but its still pretty common.

HomeLAN

Move your computer NOW!

Some of the dust and debris which will fill that room in the next few days is NOT good for it.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
:rofl: Yep, that's what I'd do too.

Abandon the house, leave the children, but for god sakes, SAVE THE COMPUTER!!!!!!

HomeLAN

PuterTutor said:
:rofl: Yep, that's what I'd do too.

Abandon the house, leave the children, but for god sakes, SAVE THE COMPUTER!!!!!!

Before you laugh too hard, please read the PC Poll thread. :D

unclehobart

I will just be unplugging it and throwing a bedsheet over the whole mess for the duration. Theres already enough dust in that case to knit a sweater with.

chcr

Too cute for words
unclehobart said:
I will just be unplugging it and throwing a bedsheet over the whole mess for the duration. Theres already enough dust in that case to knit a sweater with.

Save the dust bunnies!!!!!! :lol:

Priorities. :grinyes:

A.B.Normal

{remembering the Fawlty Towers episode with O'Reilly's men}

Here you may need this.

cleanairgardening_1775_12957908