Tests in English are unfair?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
A link...in accordance with the prophecy....

Angry Chicago Latino parents threatened Tuesday to keep their kids home on test day next month if state education officials insist on giving students who are still learning English an achievement test in English.

Facing threats of federal sanctions, state officials were ordered last October to give the same state tests native English speakers take to some 60,000 Illinois public school kids who haven’t yet mastered English.

During a news conference Tuesday at the Logan Square Neighborhood Association, about two dozen Latino parents charged that the test mandate is “unfair,’’ “anti-immigrant’’ and “anti-bilingual education.’’

They were joined by State Sen. Iris Martinez (D-Chicago), who said the federal government was “trying to take this program [bilingual education] away from us’’ by forcing children to take a test in English before they are fluent.

“This is a way of attacking children who don’t understand the language,’’ said Martinez, who is pushing a resolution to delay the test for a year.

OK, here 'tis. In the simplest words I can find.

*ahem*

This is America. We speak English. We read English. We write English.

We the taxpayers are educating your children. In our country. It might be your country too. I don't know. If it is, then you should speak the language, and train your children to do so as well. If it isn't your country, then why are you here?

But I stray from the main topic.

This being an American classroom in an American school, we reserve the right to use English in that classroom and all of its duties, including testing. Just as tests in Chinese classrooms are in Chinese, and tests in Mexican classrooms are in Spanish, and tests in Polish classrooms are in Polish. See the trend?

Now. If your child can not speak the language, or understand it well enough to take these tests, then I think they might fail the tests. Just as any American child who does not know the material will also fail the tests. Comprehension of the material covered on the test is important to doing well on that test. So if a child does not comprehend it for any reason, that will be reflected in their test score. All children. Comprehension includes both the material as well as the manner in which it is presented. Both are important to having a successful life, are they not?

If your child can not communicate in the native language, it strongly indicates a limited number of possible reasons. 1 - the child has not been in the country very long. Now if they are old enough to be in school, I think that rules out newborns. The logic then dictates that the child is here illegally, and as such has no right to any benefits whatsoever. 2 - learning English is not important in your household. This indicates that while you reside here, you do not care to join the existing culture. The logic then indicates that you are not emphasizing the importance of developing the skills required to successfully join the others around you, and makes me think that these children have little hope of becoming gainfully employed in a legal job. The disservice is being done at home. 3 - the child simply does not possess the intelligence needed to learn English. If this is the case, then this child has bigger problems to deal with anyway.

In short, it is not the responsibility of the school system, the gubmint, or anyone else to provide a standard test in any format beyond the standard. Rather, it is the responsibility of the child and the parent/s to dilligently pursue those skills required to make a successful transistion into the land one lives in. That means learning the language; NOT asking for exceptions. Simply put, you need to be able to communicate in the native tongue to avoid going without income as an adult. That starts with school, and already you are asking for exceptions. I strongly suspect this won't be the last time either.

How many kids your native land get their tests catered to thier own language? How many concessions are made to accomodate those who relocate there and cannot speak the language?

But go ahead. Keep your kids home. That really teaches them the correct lessons, huh?

:barfonu:

I can only wonder why they haven't learned the language. It would probably take me 6 months to speak (properly to a certain level) a new language if living in a foreign country and only a few days/weeks to communicate.

It would take more time to learn to read and write a language whose written form uses different characters or symbols than our own (such as japanese), but still the effort would be done.

Precisely.

Granted, the ability/proficiency required to take an academic test is beyond that of simple communication, but c'mon. The kids are in the school system. Is it too much to assume that they should possess sufficient familiarity with the language at that point?

No, no, it's much easier to piss and moan than it is to actually learn the language. Honestly, it sounds like a put up deal to me. I'll bet 95% of the kids could pass the test. Just gotta be seen whining about it in the press.

Most of the time, the kids know the language very well and do the translating for their parents.

But if the Illinois school system works like the California system, the point of keeping the kids home is to hit the schools in the pocketbooks, because they're paid on average daily attendance. So what does the district do? Give the tests and have the latinos stay home, thus losing funding? Or not give the tests and have the feds fine them money?

another product that shows 'no child left behing' is just crap.
The idea makes sense, but the method has created many problems like this.

I can only wonder why they haven't learned the language. It would probably take me 6 months to speak (properly to a certain level) a new language if living in a foreign country and only a few days/weeks to communicate.

It would take more time to learn to read and write a language whose written form uses different characters or symbols than our own (such as japanese), but still the effort would be done.

About 20 years ago I had my bubble burst. I thought that most of th efolks who couldn't speak English were truly the old school day laborers. They'd move up here for 4, 5, 6 months a year, work their ass off & then go home to their family.

A guy won a California lottery (a buttload of cash something like seventy five millions dollars). He had been living in Californias wine region for over 25 years and couldn't speak a lick of English. That's when I started getting mad.

a note to these parents-If your kids can't learn in English & pass tests in English...it's okay...my kid will need a gardener.

Back