Thank God for minimum wage

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
With fewer people working, we're all better off.

Oh, for the days when Arizona's high school students could roll pizza dough, sweep up sticky floors in theaters or scoop ice cream without worrying about ballot initiatives affecting their earning power.

That's certainly not the case under the state's new minimum-wage law that went into effect last month.

Some Valley employers, especially those in the food industry, say payroll budgets have risen so much that they're cutting hours, instituting hiring freezes and laying off employees. advertisement

And teens are among the first workers to go.

Companies maintain the new wage was raised to $6.75 per hour from $5.15 per hour to help the breadwinners in working-poor families. Teens typically have other means of support.

Mark Messner, owner of Pepi's Pizza in south Phoenix, estimates he has employed more than 2,000 high school students since 1990. But he plans to lay off three teenage workers and decrease hours worked by others. Of his 25-person workforce, roughly 75 percent are in high school.

"I've had to go to some of my kids and say, 'Look, my payroll just increased 13 percent,' " he said. " 'Sorry, I don't have any hours for you.' "

AZ Central

How long before the pizza prices rise?

I think it's $5.15/hr-federal. Some states &/or local municipalities have higher.

You're not supposed to. Minimum wage is what you're supposed to be earning in a first job, say, at a fast-food joint or something along that line, as a teen when you're not trying to pay for housing and a kid and a 2007 Civic Si.

If you listen to the pro-increase crowd, a whole slew of people are raising massive familes on minimum wage. In reality, the over 21 crowd making minimum wage is about 1%.

There are two minimum wages here...one for those under 16 and one for those 16 and over (16 also being the age you can legally drop out of school). I don't know what they are anymore...I think the under 16 one is $7/hr it used to be $6.85/hr when I was under 16.

It was raised & jobs were lost.

Jobs are lost the whole time, and it is because organizations now require people to do more automatized stuff and it can be done with a smaller work-force. If they need more people, they will hire them or run out of business, it is that simple, don't blame the minimum wages.

It was raised & jobs were lost.

I think you blamed it right there, when I said I didn't see a problem with minimum wages.

If they choose to reduce personnel it is their problem, and they are just blaming it on the wages. Minimum wage is still necessity, whether people like it or not.

Typical kneejerk reaction. Do anything with no consideration for consequences. Amerika at it's finest.

Yeah, if they drop the min back to $1/hr, we might be able to charge
only double what the Chinese do for products.
Lets relax the child labor laws too while we're at it.

Oh wait, we'll need a dictator first......Everybody vote for Hillery.:devious:

oh yeah, but not a dictator in name.

Those were the daze, weren't they.?
When some people had their feet cut off, because of frostbite...

Back