The Big Unit in the Big Apple

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
ESPN is reporting that the New York Yankees have acquired five-time Cy Young Award winner Randy Johnson from the Arizona Diamondbacks for pitcher Javier Vazquez, prospects and cash.

On December 17, the Yankees, Diamondbacks and Los Angeles Dodgers were working on a three-way deal which would have sent the 41-year-old Johnson and pitcher Kazuhisa Ishii to New York, outfielder Shawn Green and pitcher Brad Penny to Arizona and Vazquez and prospects to Los Angeles. However, the Dodgers backed out at the last minute.

Yankees president Randy Levine and Arizona's incoming chief executive officer Jeff Moorad resumed trade talks after Christmas without involving a third party and apparently reached an agreement.

The Diamondbacks wanted money to offset the difference in Johnson's $16 million salary and the $35.5 million owed to Vazquez over the next three seasons.

According to the New York Daily News, the Yankees will sign Johnson to a two-year extension for another $32 million.

Arizona likely received two minor leaguers - catcher Dioner Navarro and either third baseman Eric Duncan or pitcher Brad Halsey - and money along with Vazquez in the deal.

After blowing a three games to none lead to the Boston Red Sox in the American League Championship Series, the Yankees have focused nearly all of their energy into upgrading their starting rotation with the free agent signings of Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright.

But Johnson was the centerpiece of their plans all along and his addition makes the Yankees the clear favorite to win the World Series for the first time since 2000.

Known as the "Big Unit" because of his 6-10 size, Johnson received little run support last season with Arizona. Despite a 2.60 ERA, Johnson was just 16-14.

A 17-year veteran, Johnson has finished in the top three of the Cy Young voting in nine of the last 12 years. He is a workhorse, logging at least 240 innings in six of the last seven seasons.

Third on the all-time strikeout list with 4,161, Johnson has a career record of 246-128 with a 3.07 ERA. He has been a clutch postseason pitcher, sharing Most Valuable Player honors in the 2001 Fall Classic, when the Diamondbacks bested New York in seven games.

Vazquez, 28, had a rocky first season in New York, going 14-10 with a 4.91 ERA in 32 starts. He was hurt by surrendering 33 homers and did not pitch well in the postseason. Vazquez has a lifetime mark of 78-78 with a 4.26 ERA in parts of seven seasons.

Acquired by the Yankees last December, Vazquez won 50 games for the Montreal Expos from 2000-03.

There is speculation that Arizona will ship Vazquez to the Dodgers in a deal for Green.

The Diamondbacks spent $75 million to sign two free agents - third baseman Troy Glaus and pitcher Russ Ortiz.

Randy vs Curt...could be interesting

abooja

This kicks all KINDS of ass! :beardbng: <-- (Of course, RJ won't be looking like this guy once he's in pinstripes.)

abooja

PostCode said:
Your right. He'll end up looking like a loser. :lol:
Hmph. :shrug:

Let's talk again in October.
champagne.gif

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
unclehobart said:
bah... fear the Braves... right up until the postseason.

Shiiiiit, watch out for the Boys in Blue or the D-Backs.

you might trip over them :(

PostCode

Major contributor!
Na. You gotta watch out for [insert city name here] Expos. Never know when they'll pop up at.

:lol2:

abooja

I have a feeling it's going to get ugly around here come baseball season.

Can't wait! :swing:

chcr

Too cute for words
abooja said:
I have a feeling it's going to get ugly around here come baseball season.

Can't wait! :swing:
Nah, everyone but you and I will piss and moan about the Yankees buying another pennant but we'll be winning, so we won't care. :D

Poor people give me gas!

abooja

chcr said:
Nah, everyone but you and I will piss and moan about the Yankees buying another pennant but we'll be winning, so we won't care. :D
Whoah, another Yankee fan?! My eyes must be deceiving me...

Go, Yankees!
yankees.gif

Winky

How cool that grown men can get paid tens of millions of dollars to play a kid's game!

abooja

JAWOHL is another reinforcement, though I doubt she'll ever post.

That's alright. I think two bigmouthed Yankee fans should do the trick. :grinyes:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Even the D'Backs have as many titles as the Yankees in the 21st Century :p

Year Results MVP
2004 Boston 4, St. Louis 0 Manny Ramirez
2003 Florida 4, NY Yankees 2 Josh Beckett
2002 Anaheim 4, San Francisco 3 Troy Glaus
2001 Arizona 4, NY Yankees 3 Schilling/Johnson