The Buttinskis strike again

jimpeel

Ah, yes, the power trip is alive and well in Tennessee. The cops are telling this mother that her ten-year-old daughter cannot ride her bike one mile to school because the road is too dangerous. She has broken no law and the cops are threatening her with child endangerment charges.

I used to ride my '57 Schwinn bicycle 10 miles on the busiest road in the San Fernando Valley (CA) every day during summer vacation to go fishing. How did the same thing I did as a ten-year-old become more dangerous in 2011 than it was in 1957? I guess children are so much more irresponsible today than they were then.

VIDEO LINK

SOURCE

Tennessee Police, Mother in Dispute Over 10-Year-Old Child Riding Bike to School

Published September 07, 2011 | FoxNews.com

Police in Tennessee are in a heated dispute with a mother for allowing her 10-year-old daughter to ride her bike to school alone, arguing that the one-mile route is dangerous and the child's safety is at stake.

The Elizabethton Police Department told Teresa Tryon that her young daughter is not allowed to ride her bike unsupervised to and from Harold McCormick Elementary School because the roads have too much traffic.

"We're just looking out for the safety of the child," Elizabethton Police Chief Matt Bailey told FoxNews.com. "It’s a busy surface street. It’s not a highway by definition, but it's a very busy road."

Bailey said an officer last month observed cars swerving around the child to avoid hitting her. He said the officer also saw the girl "going into oncoming traffic." Police then confronted Tryon and told her that it was unsafe for the girl to ride her bike.

Tryon, who describes her daughter as an "avid bicyclist," claims the girl isn't violating a city ordinance and that she has every right to ride her bike to school, TriCities.com reports.

"How does the officer know my daughter better than I do?" she reportedly told the station.

Bailey told FoxNews.com that police have notified the District Attorney's Office and that Tryon could potentially face child neglect charges if the situation continued. He noted that a child was struck and killed while riding a bike on the same street several years ago, prompting police to take extra safety precautions.

But Tryon is reportedly standing firm in her decision to allow the girl to ride.

"Going to the DA, that's a little extreme for a 10-year-old riding a mile," she told the station. "She's not breaking any laws. This is a judgment -- even according to the incident report. The officer wrote, it is a judgment."

Tryon could not be reached for comment when contacted Wednesday by FoxNews.com.

god i hate asshole bikers on main roads. those cunts are militant here. lousy lefty public space advocates.

Here in the People's Republic of Boulder you had better never run over a bicyclist. They ride around on the wrong side of the street, against traffic, on the sidewalks and ride out in front of traffic with impunity. They tout the bumper sticker sayings like "Share the road". This has caused those fed up with their shenanigans to counter with "Share the road? Share the taxes."

Worst of all, in this state they are considered pedestrians. They can legally ride on the sidewalks terrorizing real pedestrians and it is just fine.

A good old fashioned elbow to the handlebars (face or bike) fixes many of those issues.

I am a share the taxes advocate. The road is for automobiles. Others use at your own risk.

i would love to take some of the more militant cyclists here and drop them in the middle of indiana. or texas. everytime i walk down the street, the little weenurs whizz by. i have urges to throw rocks, shove a stick in their spokes, et cetera...

and oh yeah my street is just about repaved. bike lane is HUGE. and 'unbroken' i.e. the bus has to stop and block traffic because the space where the bus used to pull over is now the motherfucking plush dee-luxe bike lane.

goathead.jpg

I have no problem with bicycle riders until they think they have the right of way.

There is some shithead Lance Armstrong wannabe near my usual last stop of the day. It's out in the country (CR e100n x CR n250w type of thing) I'm going down the road & this twit pulls into the middle of the single travel lane & is pumping/thrusting his fist like he wants to make a left turn & making it clear I am NOT TO GO AROUND HIM. The problem is, the next left is 800' down the road, so I go around him. I am then told I am No1. Does this jerkoff realize I can jackknife my tralier & trap his sorry ass before getting out & whipping it?

It's no longer a left coast (or bike messenger) issue. I'm just curious, are $1400. bikes worth more points than $600 bikes?

Back