The end of an era

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
CBGB's to close doors

What a shame. I guess we really are getting old, huh?

Then again, we live in a day and age when a few geeks from Berkeley with fake British accents pass as punk music. I'd love to see Green Day toe-to-toe with an in his prime Sid Vicious, or Henry Rollins, or hell, even Joan Jett. She could probably kick their ass next Tuesday.

Hey ho, let's go! :beardbng:

It was unforgettable. But as McNeil would soon discover, it was just a typical night at CBGB's, the club that spawned punk rock while launching the careers of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees Blondie, the Talking Heads and the Ramones.

I love the Talking Heads, but I need to ask those who are older than I, why are they grouped with the punk movement? None of their stuff is very "punk".

I love the Talking Heads, but I need to ask those who are older than I, why are they grouped with the punk movement? None of their stuff is very "punk".

Because the entertainment industry finds it necessary to compartmentalize everything. Especially stuff that doesn't fit in their compartments. :shrug:

"Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was..."

Their earlier stuff was more punk-ish, wasn't it? Punk in a B-52s sense maybe?

My guess would be that CBGB's was one of the few venues open to letting young bands play when they hit the scene. But I might be wrong. Probably am, as I detest the Talking Heads in general.

yeah, they are about as punk as the B-52's. Isn't that more new wave though? Their first album, Talking Heads '77, isn't very punk. The only song that's even remotly punk, to my ears, is Electric Guitar off of Fear of Music (1979). And it's more like punk on mescalin.

Punk was a specific sound that was morphed into a selling point. Once the record companies realized that people knew the difference, they invented the term New Wave.

Punk had its moments. New Wave was disco for fools.

At some point, the fools woke up & thought they got smart.

They traded Donna Summer for The Knack. :rolleyes:

Kristal plans to move the club far from its roots with a new CBGB's in Las Vegas. The owner plans to strip the current club down to the bare walls, bringing as much of it to Nevada as possible.

Blech, Vegas.

Then again, we live in a day and age when a few geeks from Berkeley with fake British accents pass as punk music. I'd love to see Green Day toe-to-toe with an in his prime Sid Vicious, or Henry Rollins, or hell, even Joan Jett. She could probably kick their ass next Tuesday.

Green Day makes Wendy O. Williams' ghost weep.

Ahhh that's too bad. I went to CBGB's once.

It was a cool club. Smaller than I expected but a good time.

Back