The health news

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I have returned from Vandy. Met with the surgeon, had all questions answered. I like this guy.

See, I've been in the unfortunate position over the past 4 years to meet a lot of doctors for the first time. A few I've dismissed. One I flat out threatened with bodily harm if he so much as walked into my hospital room for any reason, and I think he knows I mean it. Another is like a Corvair...unsafe at any speed. I see her anytime, any place, and fur will fly. But this one I really liked. He listened to my questions, my concerns, and my expectations. He waited until I was finished before he answered (a huge pet peeve of mine). He explained every aspect thoroughly and clearly without talking down to us but also in an intelligent manner. Due to a pre-planned vacation, he is unable to operate for a couple weeks, so his office is going to schedule the procedure and notify us. He hopes to have both hands in my gut by the end of the month.

5-10 days in hospital, 2-6 weeks at home afterward. I get my first experience with both a feeding tube and an epidural. I think one will be more fun than the other. But he is confident that this ordeal will be resolved once and for all. That's all I ask for.

Meanwhile, a med change seems to be doing wonders. I experienced the sensation of having an appetite for the first time in months yesterday, and this morning I could probably eat mud.

Things just might be OK after all.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Surgery in the lower abdomen can't be that far from birth pangs.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
THey're getting away from that. The dangers of anaesthesia outweigh the risk of surgery.

tonksy

Good news!

Although I am giggling at the thought of the anesthesiologist telling you to "arch your back like a mad kitty" like all 3 of my epidural deliverers told me.

unclehobart

You might even get rain overnight. Theres a chance we might get some here where I live in an hour or two. Its only the second time I can remember in my life where a drought was so bad that virtually everyone in Georgia and Florida are begging for a tropical storm/cat 1 hurricane to come on through.