The holy grail of Atari 2600 games

unclehobart

My roomie, Toby has decided to relenquish his crown jewel videogame for auction. It is an uber rare specialty made Atari 2600 game that was made for Coca Cola back in the late 70's called : Coke wins! or alternately Coke-Pepsi. Only 125 of this game were ever made and distributed to various Coke employees. The odds of more than half surviving to this day are poor. I guesstimate that there are only like 70 or so left out there ... and only a handfull that have ever made it out of the deep storage closets and basements of the original owners. He found it in a flea market a long while back and has been quietly sitting on it ever since. I didn't even know of its existence until like 2 months ago. The is no label; none of them ever had one. Its all just scribbled in by hand with a Sharpie Coke vs. Pepsie. Theres no telling wether it was written by Coke themselves or by the employee that owned it. Suttlebutt says that it was done by Coke because of the name variant for Pepsi to probably avoid any lawsuit. It looks just like the Atari varaint of Space Invaders except that the descending aliens spell out the word P- E- P- S- I with the far right row being true aliens.

He asked a few gurus as to how he could verify its authenticity... which we did. We had to open the case to get at the serial numbers and take pictures to prove to the serious collectors that we had what we say we had. This game is the Keyser Soze of video games. The top dogs have all heard of it... but never actually seen or held one. Its existence has only been mentioned on the web for like the last two hours and it has drawn over 100 hits. By darkfall, it should be a firestorm. He can't decide wether to allow the private collectors bid for it or put it up on EBay. He doesn't want EBay to take too much of a bite out of it. Here is a link to the thread with the pictures we took of it.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39210

6 hours into it and the expected firestorm is growing. It has been proven to be the real McCoy. The grand Atari elders have urged him to put it on Ebay with an unholy high reserve price.

I was about to ask if you wrote that for him or if he just talks like you :eyemouth:

Wrote which part for him? Everything on the other site is his words... unless hes been lifting from me. I can assure you that he doesn't talk like me. He loved the line about it being the 'Keyser Soze' of video games and said he was going to steal it.

I need to look into this...

unclehobart said:
Wrote which part for him? Everything on the other site is his words... unless hes been lifting from me. I can assure you that he doesn't talk like me. He loved the line about it being the 'Keyser Soze' of video games and said he was going to steal it.

I need to look into this...
the ebay thingie...sounds just like you. the way you spoke of him, I hadn't imagined that he would speak like you do :D

He credited me on the last line.

I do need to make some changes though. It was supposedly in 82-83, not the late 70s. It was also distributed to Coke executives. I also hate it when I get trite with expressions. I tend to repeat words... stuff like: this game is the Keyser Soze of video games. Saying 'game' twice is rather pointlessly repetitious.

Alas, he has gone to bed and I won't be able to make corrections until the morning.

Rarity is its own value. There is only one other game that is more rare. 4 prototype copies were made of a particular game and none knows if any of them survived. If one of them ever surfaces, it would be worth thousands.

I wouldn't count on it. There are only 2 titles that can draw $1000 ... and those two aren't even proven to still exist.

Not only is it Atari memorabilia but coke memorabilia as well. It's a double whammy. Being conservative...I bet you $1 it gets to at least $800 by close.

Originally posted by diablomozart atAtariAge Forums:

...i have no doubts that it's the real thing...

Am I the only one who saw this and...really, really laughed?

(Coke? The Real Thing? Remember? Get it? Huh? :D)

Back