The last thing going through this bird's mind...

Professur

Oh, man. You've got to be kidding. Two and a half years of work, and they didn't know about bird strikes? Every second person working at NASA is a pilot. WTF???

Billions of dollars pissed away by a fucking seagull.

HomeLAN

Nah, it looks like it hit the center tank, not the reentry vehicle.

I'm thinking the bird seriously lost that fight.

Professur

I really have to wonder about NASA's dedication to safety. If they were serious, they'd have done a non-orbital launch to test out the new stuff first, wouldn't they? As opposed to now, still seeing debris falling off the tank. I thought that stopping bits falling off during launch was supposed to be the top goal of all that rebuilding.

MrBishop

Damn birds and their Kamikaze bird-shit strikes!

Don't they clear the area like they do at airports?

Which reminds me...
In an issue of Meat & Poultry magazine, editors quoted from "Feathers," the publication of the California Poultry Industry Federation, telling the following story:

The US Federal Aviation Administration has a unique device for testing the strength of windshields on airplanes. The device is a gun that launches a dead chicken at a plane's windshield at approximately the speed the plane flies.

The theory is that if the windshield doesn't crack from the carcass impact, it'll survive a real collision with a bird during flight.

It seems the British were very interested in this and wanted to test a windshield on a brand new, speedy locomotive they're developing.

They borrowed FAA's chicken launcher, loaded the chicken and fired.

The ballistic chicken shattered the windshield, broke the engineer's chair and embedded itself in the back wall of the engine's cab. The British were stunned and asked the FAA to recheck the test to see if everything was done correctly.

The FAA reviewed the test thoroughly and had one recommendation: "Use a thawed chicken."
Snoped out as a 'false' by snopes...but funny nonetheless

unclehobart

Dude... don't forget that everything built by the government is from the lowest bidder. Just be glad it wasn't made from recycled milk crates.

Mirlyn

Professur said:
I really have to wonder about NASA's dedication to safety. If they were serious, they'd have done a non-orbital launch to test out the new stuff first, wouldn't they? As opposed to now, still seeing debris falling off the tank. I thought that stopping bits falling off during launch was supposed to be the top goal of all that rebuilding.
I read that they can't do away with 100% of the falling bits....there are plugs and such to keep moisture out of thrusters, etc while on the pad and are designed to come off upon launch. :shrug:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Useless trivia...the shuttle is going more than 100MPH by the time it clears the tower. The bird didn't feel shit... :eek: bunghole, feel shit :rofl3: