The local news

Altron

Got a couple of local articles that I figure the usual flame crew might want to discuss.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/business/columnists/andrew_cassel/15175604.htm

Good article by a local. Thoughts?

I'm inclined to agree with him. I really liked his statistic that 50% of minimum wage workers are under 25. Those damned Democrats always talk about how it's below the poverty line, but c'mon, how many of those who make minimum wage are part time students? Roughly half.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/business/15140209.htm

Thoughts?

My favorite line:
Commerce pointed out that it had been founded more than a century after slavery was abolished.

So, we've got a good liberal vs. conservative article up top, followed by a nice liberal vs. conservative article with some Confederate action. Wahoo!

article A

Is it such a big woop in the states about minimiom wage.

I though minimum wage was calculated to provide enough money for one person to live on their own. Is 5.15 an hour enough for those other 50% to live on without eating cat food?

article B

what is the issue, I am lost.

You apply for a loan, if your credit is good you get it, if not you don't end of story.

REPERATIONS????

puh-leese. If one person is alive today who was a slave, they should get some type of reparations. I don't go asking the german goverment for money cause grampa had a zyklon-b shower, so I?

Yeah, that's how I feel about article B. Of course banks are going to give bad rates and sparse loans in high-risk areas. Economics 101.

Article A, I think that anyone who works hard is going to make more than minimum wage. Most places will give you a raise after a certain amount of time, and if you get a job and do really well, obviously the company is willing to pay more for you to stay. I think the other 50% is made up of people who can't hold down a job long enough to make anything more.

The minimum wage is a guarantee to destroy jobs. Can't live on it? Get a better job.

Poor can't get loans? DUH!!!

Wachovia admitted that its predecessors had owned slaves and profited from slavery.

According to resident experts, the events of 140 years ago have no bearing on our day to day lives. So it's a non-issue. Because they said so.

Back