The New Pontiac G8

GrandCaravanSE

I really think this car looks sweet, what do you guys/als think about it.
2008_pontiac_g8-thumb.jpg

Pontiac-G8-SEMA-Edition.jpg

50-Cent-Pontiac-G8-2.jpg

2008-pontiac-g8.jpg

chcr

Too cute for words
That's more than a little like saying the chubby girl that lives up the street reminds you of Megan Fox. Yeah, they both have tits but...

:lol:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I don't understand the purpose behind big cars...why does one need a big ass car? It still only seats 5...if you need the extra cargo room buy a small SUV. It's probably just as good on gas and likely going to handle better in poor road conditions. If I'm gonna drive a car (which I do) it's gonna be small to aid in fuel efficiency and maximize the spaces I can fit in (I can fit in some pretty small parking spaces). If I'm gonna be burning more gas and killing the earth that much quicker I'd so much rather be in an SUV or small truck...just as crappy gas mileage and better for going into the mountains in the winter (I'd have 4x4 capability).

POStech

I don't understand the purpose behind big cars...why does one need a big ass car? It still only seats 5...if you need the extra cargo room buy a small SUV. It's probably just as good on gas and likely going to handle better in poor road conditions. If I'm gonna drive a car (which I do) it's gonna be small to aid in fuel efficiency and maximize the spaces I can fit in (I can fit in some pretty small parking spaces). If I'm gonna be burning more gas and killing the earth that much quicker I'd so much rather be in an SUV or small truck...just as crappy gas mileage and better for going into the mountains in the winter (I'd have 4x4 capability).

Maybe some poeple don't like driving small tin can cars or the ride hight of a SUV.

Altron

Not a fan of the lower grille, taillights, or fender vents.

I am a fan of the LS3 and T-56 though :)

Professur

My dear foolish child .... for a daily commute, you've the right of it. But I challenge you to drive 1000 miles in your compact car, while I do it in a mid-size. I assure you, I know who'll be the fresher of the two at the end.

A family of five fits well into a mid size ... if the kids like each other. If they don't .... 6 inches can make the difference as to how many kids arrive alive at grandma's.

chcr

Too cute for words
I disagree, sort of. 1000 miles in my compact car with just the wife and I is perfectly comfortable. Newer compacts have better seats and more leg and headroom than they used to. Now when you start adding progeny, that becomes a problem. I like a mini-van better than a mid-size for family outings though. More room to aim.

Professur

Chic, doing it in a compact is doable, and I've done it .... but the level of comfort is the question. I'd sell my soul for a car with the seats I had in my '85 Celebrity. Having done Atlanta twice with my Transport and Nashville once in a rented Sebring, the Chrysler is the one I'd choose next time. The transport was fine .... but inferior by comparison. Likewise the seats in my colt were adaquate for Magog to Amos runs ... they just wouldn't be my first choice if I had the choice.

That said .... let's not over look that there are compacts ... and then there are compacts. Some of today's compacts are down right luxurious .... but even they're inferiour to the same trim package on their big brothers.

Altron

I'd sell my soul for a car with the seats I had in my '85 Celebrity.

Prof, it was for sale in the summer of 2007, but you didn't want to drive to New Jersey again to buy it. It wouldn't even have cost your soul... I was only asking $1,000.

Inkara1

Legoom, headroom, shoulder room, etc. When I traded in the Neon for the Malibu, part of why I went with the Malibu was for more interior room. Remember, I was still with Lori at the time and she's 5'11" and has fairly long legs, and her shins would hit against the glove compartment in the Neon.

I should mention that the G8 is still a lot lighter than SUVs or trucks, even with the extra room compared to a G5/Pursuit. That means it will get better mileage than an SUV while providing good passenger room. Then, put a 402-HP V8 under the hood and you've got some serious fun on your hands.

Mirlyn

One of our company vehicles is an 03 Impala, and it gets 20+ in the city. 26 on the highway. Great for our use, even if it looks big. I doubt the small SUV's get that.

Sharky

Chic, doing it in a compact is doable, and I've done it .... but the level of comfort is the question. I'd sell my soul for a car with the seats I had in my '85 Celebrity. Having done Atlanta twice with my Transport and Nashville once in a rented Sebring, the Chrysler is the one I'd choose next time. The transport was fine .... but inferior by comparison. Likewise the seats in my colt were adaquate for Magog to Amos runs ... they just wouldn't be my first choice if I had the choice.

That said .... let's not over look that there are compacts ... and then there are compacts. Some of today's compacts are down right luxurious .... but even they're inferiour to the same trim package on their big brothers.
Heh - I had an '85 Celebrity too. It was a good car. You are right, the seats were quite comfy.

Nixy, ask my Florida Highway Patrol friend why some people prefer big cars. He was working a detail that required him to follow a road striping machine in a work zone on the interstate with his blue lights flashing to slow traffic. A tractor trailer truck couldn't slow down in time to keep from running into a work truck and tried to swerve off the road and into the weeds.

He slammed into the back of Milton's Ford Crown Victoria cruiser at an estimated 50 mph. The trunk of the cruiser was completely obliterated. The rear bumper was pushed up under the back window, and the back seat was crushed against the back of the front seat. Milton's most serious injury was a broken arm. Pics and story here. I don't think anybody could survive such an impact in a compact car.

This is why I drive a Mercury Grand Marquis (identical to a Crown Vic except for cosmetic differences).

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
But would he have been even more protected in an SUV? Probably. I'd love something bigger than my car but if/when I get it I can guarantee it's not gonna be a bigger car. It's gonna be an SUV or truck. Maybe I'm just a weirdo :shrug:

Sharky

But would he have been even more protected in an SUV? Probably. I'd love something bigger than my car but if/when I get it I can guarantee it's not gonna be a bigger car. It's gonna be an SUV or truck. Maybe I'm just a weirdo :shrug:

There aren't many SUVs that get 24 mpg (avg.), which is what my Grand Marquis gets, with a V8 engine. I gotta have a V8 - most of the roads around here are 2-lane 55 mph highways and you have to do a lot of passing, unless you want to be stuck behind a Q-tip doing exactly the speed limit. To me, a V6 just doesn't have the grunt to pass safely. I despise front-wheel-drive, also.

P.S. I'm a weirdo too. :)

Inkara1

Truthfully, an SUV is only "safer" when in an accident with something smaller, because the energy from the weight of the SUV goes into the smaller car. If a semi hits the SUV, or the SUV hits a tree, or otherwise is the "loser" in the wreck, you'll find it's not really that much safer. It's simply physics, and I'm sure you took plenty of physics in college considering your line of work.