The skeptic says - "I want to believe"

IDLEchild

...but he asks the believers...Why do you have to believe despite all that is against your supposed truths?

I see so many threads here with so many users posting the "truth", secrets of life or the absolute answer to life's greatest questions. Why do you feel you have found the answers when what you show is ALWAYS less then impressive evidence? Are you guys that disillusioned by reality and society that you, literally, spend hours upon hours researching the higher truth? What is this constant need to escape reality through falicious arguments and slap-stick proof of Aliens and Alein Jesus Christ's and what have you?

...or am I missing something? Or is it possible that you guys maybe on to something but the collective cynical efforts of the non-believers in the world makes your arguments seem mundane and your proof phony at best? I am not being sarcastic when I ask this. I am open to the possiblity that something other than what is exists among us or out there waiting to be found. I would be excited to know that the existence of such was predicted and found but why have faith?

Why have the notion that you KNOW something is out there? Does the thought of "this is all there is" scares you because reality has failed you?

I know men were laughed at for thinking differently in the time of conformity and from this eskewed vision every great creation took birth, every great idea took into form so where do you believers draw the line?

Where do you skeptics draw the line? What is great thinking or babbling of a fool?

I ask this question to all those that dedicate themselves to what seems like forever a lost cause.

I would be egotistical (sp) to think the earth is the only place to have life .Its not a matter of being positive that life exists elsewhere or doesn't,its just that there is a better chance there is than isn't .There are { Carl Sagan} "Billions and Billions" {Carl Sagan} of planets/Universes out there ,why its silly to think we are all there is.

Are you guys that disillusioned by reality and society that you, literally, spend hours upon hours researching the higher truth?

Yes.

Are you talking God or life on other planets?

As far as god goes, I have no faith that there is a higher being that really cares what goes on down here. I do believe that there is a higher being, a creator if you will, but I just don't think we are at the forefront of his thoughts. There is far too much violence and cruelty in the world to believe he is an active participant.

For the life on other planets, I'd have to say that there has to be. They may not be very close, in fact, I doubt they are or we would know about it by now. But I do think that there has to be other life out there. We can't just be a coincidence that hasn't been replicated anywhere else. The only thing I wonder about is where they are in civilization. We had some key things happen that moved us forward, wouldn't it seem unlikely that the same things happened to them? It just wouldn't surprise me in the least to find that when we do find life out there, they are either going to be cavemen type people, or flying car type people.

Are you guys that disillusioned by reality and society that you, literally, spend hours upon hours researching the higher truth?
I was once. It was before computers and the internet, so I did my research the old fashioned way, reading and asking people in a position to know. Kind of seems like and incredible waste of time considering the conclusions I reached, but I feel like I have the answers I was looking for. This is an expression of faith, I suppose, but it's faith in nothing.

Note that I am neither so disillusioned or so cynical as I once was. :shrug:

Oh, and skeptics don't necessarily want to believe in my opinion, but the true skeptic is willing to admit when he's wrong.

Re: The skeptic says -

IDLEchild said:
I used to be, but now i've stopped looking for facts and found myself instead. True or not, as long as 'my reality' is one that i'm happy with and works with the rest of the world, that's all i need.
(I'm atheist-buddhist, btw... You know, karma and all that.)

Good post btw, IC.

A.B.Normal said:
You've been hanging around Gonz tooooooooo much. :swing:
I meant my spiritual reality. The other realities still follow strict logic and are subject to extensive criticism... Unless my voices tell me otherwise. *phanwink*

A.B.Normal said:
You've been hanging around Gonz tooooooooo much. :swing:

Had he been hanging around Gonz there would be no uncertainty. It would have read closer to "True, whether they like it or not."

Back